MANCHESTER, UNITED KINGDOM--(Marketwire - Aug. 22, 2012) - With the August bank holiday just around the corner, Swinton, the UK's leading van insurance broker is reminding van drivers of the importance of securing vehicles whilst taking time off over the holiday period.
Many people see the extended August weekend as a last chance to travel before the winter season arrives and in doing can forget to double check that their vans are locked and parked in a safe space.
Being one of the busiest bank holidays of the year, empty houses, office buildings and vehicles make the perfect opportunity for thieves looking for a vehicle or item to steal. That's why any expensive tools and machinery kept in vans should be removed and stored in a safe and out of sight place.
Taking simple precautionary measures to secure a van can help owners avoid any unnecessary van insurance claims as a result of theft or break-ins.
Here's Swinton's bank holiday advice for van drivers taking time off:
- Help reduce the risk of a break in and remove all tools and valuables from the vehicle
- Wherever possible, put the van in a secure garage or lock-up as doing so provides maximum security
- Security devices such as immobilisers minimise the chance of the vehicle being stolen and provide extra peace of mind
- Double check your van insurance to make sure that the vehicle and its contents comply with terms stated in the policy. Failure to do so could result in your van insurance becoming invalid
Phil Moss Commercial Vehicle Manager at Swinton said, "It's important not to let opportunistic thieves catch you off guard. Bank holidays are a great time to relax but van owners still need to be wary - the more that they can do to reduce the risk of their van being broken into, the better. For many owners, their van is a key aspect of their job so it's vital that as much as possible is done to protect them."
- Swinton Commercial is the dedicated commercial insurance division of the Swinton Group
- Swinton Commercial was awarded Commercial Lines Broker of the Year 2008 and is a finalist at the British Insurer Awards 2009
- With 603 branches nationwide Swinton is the UK's largest high street insurance retailer
- Unlike many other companies in the financial services industry, Swinton is committed to keeping its branches open for business, and part of the community
- Swinton provides a one-stop-shop for the insurance and related needs of its clients, offering home, car, caravan, business, holiday, motorbike and even classic car insurance
- With a dedicated team of advisors on hand at every branch to search a panel of insurers to offer quality cover at competitive rates