TORONTO--(Marketwire - Nov 29, 2012) - Social media has turned the world into a virtual focus group, but even with social media monitoring tools, most marketers don't know what to do with the information they uncover. Sysomos created a tip sheet to help them properly leverage the social data at their disposal and make it a tactical part of their campaigns. "How to Accurately Track Your Social Media Buzz" outlines the steps to take before starting a marketing campaign, what social data to use to guide success during the campaign, and how to summarize, record and plan for the future after the campaign ends.
- Before implementing a social media campaign, it's critical to know how much chatter a brand generates without the encouragement of the campaign. Therefore, a company needs to monitor social channels to track what people are already saying about its brand -- as well as about its competitors' brands and its industry as a whole.
- Different campaigns have different objectives and desired outcomes. The buzz generated by just a few industry heavyweights can have a major impact for a company implementing a marketing campaign with the objective of thought leadership.
- When conducting crisis communications, social media monitoring tools can generate wordclouds before and after communications to show a company if its efforts positively influenced the conversation and halted the crisis.
- Looking solely at the numbers -- the volume of posts, mentions, followers and RTs, for example -- does not present an accurate picture of campaign success. Marketers need to dig into the buzz and look at context and sentiment to understand what's working and what's not.
- Social monitoring provides metrics that can be used to be more successful in subsequent campaigns. For example, if the audience that responded the most to the most recent campaign wasn't comprised of the same demographic as your intended target audience, it might reveal a new target market.
"How to Accurately Track Your Social Media Buzz" is the fifth in a series of Sysomos Tip Sheets published through the end of 2012 to help marketers leverage social media monitoring to advance their businesses. The next Tip Sheet, "Five Practical Tips for Setting Measurable Social Media Goals," guides marketers in creating actionable and meaningful social media goals that define success in their own organizations.
Download a free copy of "How to Accurately Track Your Social Media Buzz."
Sysomos, a Marketwire company, brings business intelligence to social media, providing instant and unlimited access to all social media conversations to quickly see what's happening, why it's happening, and who's driving the conversations.
Through the use of contextual text analytics and data mining technology, Sysomos collects data from blogs, Twitter, social networks, forums, video sites and major news sources.
Our products give you the ability to quickly discover the tone of the conversations and identify sentiment by gender, age and location.