TORONTO--(Marketwire - Jan 14, 2013) - A public relations crisis is no longer limited to a negative story spread by journalists through traditional media outlets. Today, a negative story moves around the world at the speed of social media -- in real time on channels like Twitter and YouTube. While this dynamic can wreak havoc on a brand more quickly than ever before, social media also presents opportunities that weren't available a decade ago. In its latest example-filled tip sheet, "Turn Social Intelligence into Smart Crisis Prevention," Sysomos offers practical suggestions for preventing a social media crisis from occurring as well as controlling an impending crisis.
- Every company should have an updated, readily accessible social media crisis plan that represents each of its departments, because a crisis can range from an executive faux pas to poor customer service to a product malfunction.
- Word clouds are great bellwethers for predicting a crisis. Monday's word cloud could reveal business as usual while Tuesday's could predict trouble in the making.
- Organizations can avert or more easily control a crisis once it occurs by developing positive relationships with their major influencers, fans and clients ahead of time.
- Overreacting to a crisis can hurt a brand as much as can underreacting. Monitoring tools reveal spikes in social sentiment during crisis response; the goal is to bring sentiment volume to pre-crisis levels.
- Pre-prepared messages help speed response, but the tone and content must be modified for each unique situation. It's critical for a brand's voice to be authentic and genuine when it explains how it's fixing the issue.
"Turn Social Intelligence into Smart Crisis Prevention" is the seventh in a series of Sysomos Tip Sheets to help marketers leverage social media monitoring to advance their businesses.
Download a free copy of "Turn Social Intelligence into Smart Crisis Prevention."
Sysomos Tip Sheets available for free download include:
Sysomos, a Marketwire company, brings business intelligence to social media, providing instant and unlimited access to all social media conversations to quickly see what's happening, why it's happening, and who's driving the conversations.
Through the use of contextual text analytics and data mining technology, Sysomos collects data from blogs, Twitter, social networks, forums, video sites and major news sources.
Our products give you the ability to quickly discover the tone of the conversations and identify sentiment by gender, age and location.