TORONTO--(Marketwire - February 12, 2013) - More than 24 million tweets associated with last week's Super Bowl XLVII attest to the growing use of social media surrounding high-profile events. This is almost double the number of tweets (13.7 million) associated with last year's game. One reason is that roughly half of the 50 TV spots aired during the game this year included a Twitter hashtag, up from only five at last year's game. But these top-line numbers don't tell the whole story. How many of the 24-plus million tweets were about the commercials versus other aspects of the event such as the game, the teams, the halftime show and the blackout? To find out, Sysomos used its social media analytics platform MAP (Media Analysis Platform) to sift through the tweets and published the findings in "The Super Bowl XLVII Twitter Mention Report."
- Beyoncé's halftime show generated the greatest number of tweets related to a specific event, accounting for 28 percent of all Super Bowl XLVII-related posts.
- Of the two teams that competed in Super Bowl XLVII, the Baltimore Ravens was the more popular team based on the number of overall Twitter mentions (+5M) as well as the number of organic tweets, retweets and @replies.
- Forty-four percent of all tweets were retweets.
- While viewers waited 34 minutes for the game to resume during the blackout, some sponsors earned praise with their "Always On" blackout-related tweets. Two tweets from Oreo and Tide generated a combined total of 17,092 retweets and more than 1 million impressions alone.
- Among ten sponsors analyzed, Taco Bell was the brand most associated with Super Bowl mentions, with 31 percent of the total share of voice.
According to Sysomos Community Manager Sheldon Levine, "Monitoring social media conversations is a highly accurate indicator of public perception. Social media activity surrounding huge events such as the Super Bowl drive this point home. But even more important, this event demonstrates how a handful of companies took advantage of the power of social media to dominate Twitter with on-the-fly advertising and stand apart from the crowd."
Download a free copy of the "The Super Bowl XLVII Twitter Mention Report."
Take a look at the following related infographics:
Sysomos, a Marketwire company, brings business intelligence to social media, providing instant and unlimited access to all social media conversations to quickly see what's happening, why it's happening, and who's driving the conversations.
Through the use of contextual text analytics and data mining technology, Sysomos collects data from blogs, Twitter, social networks, forums, video sites and major news sources.
Our products give you the ability to quickly discover the tone of the conversations and identify sentiment by gender, age and location.
Image Available: http://www.marketwire.com/library/MwGo/2013/2/11/11G003603/Images/SuperBowl_Dashboard_Feb2013_(2)-722496434053.jpg
Image Available: http://www.marketwire.com/library/MwGo/2013/2/11/11G003603/Images/SuperBowl_Report_Feb2013-826248899330.jpg