TORONTO--(Marketwired - Apr 2, 2013) - The heavily promoted and anticipated South by Southwest® (SXSW®) Conferences & Festivals in Austin, TX lived up to their reputation as the world's most-celebrated, attended and discussed symposiums on film, music, and interactive technology. Representatives from Sysomos captured the pulse of the SXSW Interactive Festival between March 8 and 12, 2013 to uncover how people felt about the cutting-edge gadgets and digital creativity introduced here. Key findings, derived from analyzing millions of conversations, are summarized in the "SXSW Interactive Insider Report," a lively, day-to-day mix of narrative and analytics that shows what people found most interesting as the conference unfolded.
- On the first day, March 8, Twitter generated 1 billion estimated impressions from 182,243 mentions by 161,722 users; 95% of those tweets were positive.
- The two companies that stood out at the beginning of the conference were Facebook, which had recently announced changes to its newsfeed, and Samsung, which has its sights on Apple.
- On the second day, the tweet volume increased dramatically, with an estimated 2 billion impressions from nearly 300,000 Twitter mentions. Garnering the greatest number of social mentions was SpaceX founder and CEO Elon Musk, the man behind the first private company to successfully dock a spacecraft with the International Space Station.
- The gender balance of social mentions shifted slightly from 60% men/40% women on the first day of the conference to 58% men/42% women on the third day. The biggest buzz on Day 3 was about Google Glass' mention that it had hacked a pair of hightops to create an interactive talking shoe.
- Twitter accounted for approximately 1.18 million mentions during the five conference days; blogs and news sites had slightly over 19,000 mentions each, while forums accounted for almost 5,000 mentions.
"SXSW Interactive Insider Report" is part of a series of Industry Insider reports that focus on high-profile topics illuminated by social media monitoring. Sysomos uses its Media Analysis Platform (MAP) and Heartbeat platforms to collect, monitor and analyze data from blogs, Twitter, social networks, forums, wikis and major news sources, and then translate the data into compelling graphics that provide valuable brand insights. By seeing what customers and influencers say about their brands and learning where discussions take place and why, companies are able to engage with people in new and different ways. This outreach builds stronger relationships and enhances customer loyalty, which ultimately leads to more successful business results.
Download a free copy of the SXSW Interactive Insider Report
You can also download previously published Industry Insider reports here:
Sysomos, a Marketwire company, brings business intelligence to social media, providing instant and unlimited access to all social media conversations to quickly see what's happening, why it's happening, and who's driving the conversations.
Through the use of contextual text analytics and data mining technology, Sysomos collects data from blogs, Twitter, social networks, forums, video sites and major news sources.
Our products give you the ability to quickly discover the tone of the conversations and identify sentiment by gender, age and location.