Canada Revenue Agency

Canada Revenue Agency

June 01, 2011 10:50 ET

Tax Relief Measures Available to Victims of Natural Disasters in Canada

OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - June 1, 2011) - The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of National Revenue, would like to remind Canadians that taxpayer relief provisions are available to them if they are unable to meet their tax obligations due to a natural disaster.

"Many Canadians have suffered this year as a result of natural disasters that have affected them, their families, their homes and their businesses. Spring flooding in Quebec, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta has destroyed homes and businesses and disrupted lives. Many of the residents of Slave Lake, Alberta have lost their homes and all of their possessions or have been displaced because of a devastating forest fire that ravaged their town," said Minister Shea.

"I deeply sympathize with what these Canadians are going through and would like to ensure that they have one less thing to worry about at this time," she added.

The June 15th deadline for self-employed individuals and their spouses or common-law partners to submit their income tax returns is approaching quickly. These taxpayers should know that the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) can give them special consideration if they cannot meet their tax obligations due to a natural disaster.

The CRA's taxpayer relief provisions use a balanced approach to assist all taxpayers in resolving tax issues due to circumstances beyond their control. Under these provisions, any taxpayer can apply to the CRA to have interest and/or penalties waived or cancelled in situations where they are unable to file a tax return and/or make a payment on time due to a natural disaster or other extraordinary circumstances beyond their control. Taxpayers should submit their request in writing using form RC4288, Request for Taxpayer Relief. The CRA will consider these requests on a case-by-case basis.

Affected taxpayers who have questions or concerns about the CRA's taxpayer relief provisions can access additional information on the CRA website, or they can call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281. Business owners and self-employed individuals can call the CRA at 1-800-959-5525.

Contact Information

  • Noel Carisse
    Chief Spokesperson
    Canada Revenue Agency

    Nancy Bishay
    Director of Communications
    Office of the Minister of National Revenue