Canada Revenue Agency

Canada Revenue Agency

February 13, 2014 12:08 ET

Tax Tip: Are you 65 or Older? Claim Your Benefits and Credits

OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Feb. 13, 2014) -

Did you know?

There are several benefits and credits designed for seniors.

Important information for seniors

- Age amount - You can claim this amount if you were 65 years of age or older on December 31, 2013, and your net income is less than $80,256. The maximum amount you can claim is $6,854.

- Pension income amount - You may be able to claim up to $2,000 if you reported eligible pension, superannuation, or annuity payments on your return.

- Pension income splitting - If you're receiving a pension, you may be eligible to split up to 50% of your eligible pension income with your spouse or common-law partner.

- Registered retirement savings plan (RRSP) - Deductible RRSP contributions can reduce your tax bill. You have until December 31 of the year in which you turn 71 to contribute to your RRSP.

- Registered disability savings plan (RDSP) - A registered disability savings plan (RDSP) is a savings plan to help families save for the financial security of a person who is eligible for the disability tax credit.

- Goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) credit - You may be eligible for the GST/HST credit, a tax-free quarterly payment that helps individuals and families with modest incomes offset all or part of the GST or HST that they pay.

- Working income tax benefit (WITB) - Working individuals and families with low income may be able to claim this refundable tax credit. The WITB includes a supplement for individuals who qualify for the disability amount. Eligible individuals and families may also apply for advance payments.

- Disability amount - If you have a severe and prolonged impairment in physical or mental functions and meet certain conditions, you may be eligible to claim the disability amount.

- Public transit amount - You can claim the cost of certain public transit passes, such as a monthly or annual pass, for travel within Canada on public transit in 2013.

- Medical expenses - You may be able to claim a non-refundable tax credit based on the cost of previously unclaimed medical expenses for any 12-month period ending in 2013.

- Canada child tax benefit (CCTB) - If you are responsible for the care and upbringing of a child who is under 18 years of age, the CCTB may help you with the costs of raising the child.

- Child disability benefit - You may be eligible for this tax-free benefit if you cared for a child under 18 years of age who is eligible for the disability amount.

- Universal child care benefit (UCCB) - If you are responsible for the care of a child under 6 years of age, you may be eligible to receive the UCCB when you apply for the CCTB.

- Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP) - If you need help filing your return, have a modest income, and a simple tax situation, contact the CVITP, which runs volunteer tax clinics across the country.

Fast facts about filing your income tax return online

  • Filing your return online lets you get your refund faster.
  • Filing online is easy. Certified software packages and web applications (some of which are free to use) guide you through the process, making sure you don't miss out on credits and benefits you may be eligible for.
  • Filing online is secure. The CRA uses the same high level of online security Canadian financial institutions use.
  • Go to and let us walk you through the process step by step.

Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) online services make filing easier and let you get your refund faster

The CRA's online services are fast, easy, and secure. You can use them to file your income tax and benefit return, make a payment, track your refund, and more. Sign up for direct deposit too! Your refund and any benefit or credit payments owed to you will be deposited directly into your account, putting your money in your pocket faster. For more information, go to

Stay connected

To receive updates when new information is added to our website, you can:

- Follow the CRA on Twitter - @CanRevAgency.

- Subscribe to a CRA electronic mailing list.

- Add our RSS feeds to your feed reader.

You can also watch our tax-related videos on YouTube.

Contact Information

  • Noel Carisse
    Media Relations
    Canada Revenue Agency