Canada Revenue Agency

Canada Revenue Agency

February 04, 2013 11:36 ET

Tax Tip: Children's Arts Tax Credit

OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Feb. 4, 2013) -

Did you know?

Is your child a budding artist or musician? If your child attends programs that contribute to his or her development, you may be eligible for a break at tax time.

Important facts

  • If your child participated in an eligible program of artistic, cultural, recreational, or developmental activity, you may be able to claim up to $500 of the fees you paid in 2012 for registration or membership. Claiming the full $500 can save you $75 on your tax bill.

  • Your child must have been under 16 years of age at the beginning of the year in which eligible arts expenses were paid (or under 18 years of age if he or she is eligible for the disability amount).

  • You can claim this credit for your child, as well as the child of your spouse or common-law partner.

  • You may claim an additional amount of $500 for each eligible child who qualifies for the disability amount and for whom you paid a minimum of $100 for registration or membership fees.

  • Two parents can claim eligible fees for the same child, as long as they do not claim the same fees and the combined amount is not more than $500.

Organizations who offer programs are in the best position to determine if they are eligible. Make sure to get a receipt for the fees you paid. More information on eligible programs and activities can be found at

The Canada Revenue Agency's (CRA) online services make filing even easier

The CRA's online services are fast, easy, and secure. You can use them to file your income tax and benefit return, make a payment, track your refund and more. Sign up for direct deposit too! Your refund and any benefit or credit payments owed to you will be deposited directly into your account, putting your money into your pocket faster. For more information, go to

Stay connected (

To receive updates when new information is added to our Web site, you can:

- follow the CRA on Twitter - @CanRevAgency;

- subscribe to a CRA electronic mailing list; and

- add our RSS feeds to your feed reader.

You can also visit us on YouTube for tax-related videos.

Contact Information

  • Noel Carisse
    Canada Revenue Agency