Canada Revenue Agency

Canada Revenue Agency

February 11, 2015 16:49 ET

Tax Tip: Do You Own Foreign Property Over $100,000?-File Form T1135 Online This Year!

OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - feb. 11, 2015) -

Did you know?

That, starting February 9, 2015, individuals can file Form T1135, Foreign Income Verification Statement, electronically for the 2014 tax year?

Important information

Canadian residents who own, at any time in the tax year, certain types of property outside Canada costing more than $100,000 must file Form T1135, Foreign Income Verification Statement. Now, you can do it online!

Filing your Form T1135 online is easy. Certified software and web applications (some of which are free to use) help you every step of the way. And if you are already filing online, all you need to file online is your social insurance number and date of birth. You can also go to and let us walk you through the process step by step.

If you need to file a Form T1135 for taxation years before 2014, you must file a paper form. Detailed instructions are given on the back of the form.

Don't forget to file your return and Form T1135 on time! For the 2013 and later tax years, the reassessment period for a tax year is extended by three years if a taxpayer has not reported income from a foreign property on their income tax return and Form T1135 was not filed, was filed late, or included incorrect or incomplete information.

For more information on Form T1135, go to Foreign Income Verification Statement.

Fast facts for individuals about filing your foreign income verification statement online:

- You can file Form T1135 online for the 2014 tax year and subsequent years only.

- You can file Form T1135 online with your tax return or separately, but the filing deadline is the same for both.

- Filing online is secure. The CRA uses the same high level of online security that Canadian financial institutions use.

- Online filing of Form T1135 is just one of many service improvements the CRA has introduced to help make tax time easier for you. Other new services include Online mail in My Account and the MyCRA mobile app for individuals.

- Stay tuned -- corporations and partnerships will be able to file Form T1135 electronically in the future. We'll let you know when this service becomes available.

- For more information, individuals (other than self-employed individuals) and trusts can call 1-800-959-8281 and businesses, self-employed individuals, and partnerships can call 1-800-959-5525.

Stay connected

To receive updates when new information is added to our website you can:

- Follow the CRA on Twitter - @CanRevAgency.

- Subscribe to a CRA electronic mailing list.

- Add our RSS feeds to your feed reader.

- Watch our tax-related videos on YouTube.

Contact Information