Canada Revenue Agency

Canada Revenue Agency

February 17, 2014 12:17 ET

Tax Tip: File Your Return Now, and Pay Tax Owing Later

OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Feb. 17, 2014) -

Did you know?

You can file your income tax and benefit return now and pay tax owing later. Through the secure Canada Revenue Agency's (CRA) My Account service, you can set up a pre-authorized debit (PAD) so your payment arrives just in time.

Important facts

The PAD service allows taxpayers registered in My Account to authorize the CRA to withdraw from their Canadian financial institution a pre-determined amount on a pre-determined date.

  • If you are already a My Account user, go to your account on the CRA website. Setting up a PAD agreement will be offered as an option upon login.

  • During set-up, you can:

    • specify the amount of the withdrawal;

    • set the date or recurring dates when the withdrawal(s) are to be made; and

    • indicate the bank account you'd like to use to make the payment(s).


To set up a PAD, you must first register in My Account. Please allow 5 to 10 business days for your security code to arrive in the mail. You will need this code to complete the registration.

To avoid interest or late-payment charges, make sure to set up your PAD at least five business days before the deadline for any balance owing or arrears.

  • Once your PAD is created, you will be provided with an online confirmation letter that can be saved or printed.

  • You can modify or cancel your PAD online up to five business days before your payment due date.

The PAD service is one of many online payment options available to taxpayers. It's a great way to pay recurring payments such as instalment payments. Signing up for the PAD service is easy, convenient, and secure. Set it up and forget it.

For other payment options, go to

Stay connected

To receive updates when new information is added to our website, you can:

- Follow the CRA on Twitter - @CanRevAgency.

- Subscribe to a CRA electronic mailing list.

- Add our RSS feeds to your feed reader.

You can also watch our tax-related videos on YouTube.

Contact Information

  • Noel Carisse
    Media Relations
    Canada Revenue Agency