Canada Revenue Agency

Canada Revenue Agency

March 30, 2015 12:40 ET

Tax Tip : Help Yourself! Top Questions We Get at Tax Time

OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - March 30, 2015) -

Did you know?

Every year around tax time, Canadians call the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) with a variety of questions. See below our answers to the top questions asked at tax time. For answers related to your personal activities you can find those through the CRA's My Account service. My Account allows you to track your refund, view or change your return, check your benefit and credit payments and your RRSP limit, set up direct deposit, and so much more.

To register for My Account, go to and select "CRA register." You will need to provide:

- your social insurance number;

- your date of birth;

- your current postal code or ZIP code; and

- an amount you entered on your income tax and benefit return, so have your copy on hand (the line requested changes and it could be from either the current tax year or the previous one).

Top questions we get at tax time

How do I change my address?

You can do it online if you have registered with My Account or by mailing or faxing a completed Form RC325, Address Change Request, or a signed letter to your tax centre. Your signed letter must include your social insurance number, your new address, and your moving date. You can also call the Individual Income Tax and Trust Enquiries at 1-800-959-8281.

How do I change my marital status?

You can change your marital status online by using the option "Change my marital status" through My Account, by calling us at 1-800-387-1193 or by sending a completed Form RC65, Marital Status Change to your tax centre.

What is my balance owing or where is my refund?

You can find out online if you are registered with My Account. You can also call the Tax Information Phone Service (TIPS) at 1-800-267-6999 to ask about your refund. TIPS is available from mid-February to December 2015. You can also call the CRA's Individual Income Tax and Trust Enquiries at 1-800-959-8281.

How can I get a copy of my notice of assessment or reassessment?

You can get a copy quickly and easily through in My Account. If registered for My Account you will be able to view and print detailed information on an assessment or reassessment of your income tax and benefit return for the current year or the 11 previous years. If you register for online mail, you will receive your notice online. The CRA will email to you an email notification letting you know there is mail for you to view in My Account. To register for online mail, provide us with an email address on your T1 return or register directly at

How do I register for direct deposit?

You can register for direct deposit online through My Account or by mail by filling out the Direct Deposit Enrolment Form and mailing it to the address indicated on the form or by calling us at 1-800-959-8281. For more information, go to

CRA online services make filing easier and getting your refund faster

CRA online services are fast, easy, and secure. You can use them to file your income tax and benefit return, make a payment, track your refund, receive your notice of assessment, and more. Did you know that the Government of Canada is switching to direct deposit for payments that it issues? This includes your tax refund and benefits payments. Sign up for direct deposit today! For more information, go to

Stay connected

To receive updates when new information is added to our website, you can:

- Follow the CRA on Twitter - @CanRevAgency.

- Subscribe to a CRA electronic mailing list.

- Add our RSS feeds to your feed reader.

You can also watch our tax-related videos on YouTube.

Contact Information

  • Philippe Brideau
    Media Relations
    Canada Revenue Agency