Canada Revenue Agency

Canada Revenue Agency

April 23, 2013 11:41 ET

Tax Tip: It's Not Too Late to Make Changes to Your Return

OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - April 23, 2013) -

Did you know?

It's easy to make a correction to your income tax and benefit return if you realize you made a mistake after filing.

Changing your return

You will need to wait to receive your notice of assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) before you can make a change to your return.

Once you receive your notice of assessment, you can:

- use the Change my return option found in My Account, one of the CRA's secure online services;

- send a completed T1 Adjustment Request form (T1-ADJ) to your tax centre; or

- send a signed letter to your tax centre asking for an adjustment to your return.

If you send a letter, be sure to give your name, address, and social insurance number and tell us which tax year you want to adjust. You will also need to provide any supporting documents for your change. For example, if you want to change the amount you claimed for charitable donations, you have to submit all your charitable donation receipts to support your claim.

My Account

- The CRA's electronic services allow you to transact with us from your home or office--on your schedule. To access My Account and take advantage of this fast, easy, and secure way to manage your taxes, go to

- To login, you will need a CRA user ID and password or you can login using your online banking information.

- If you need a CRA user ID and password - select "Register".

- As part of the registration process, the CRA will mail you a CRA security code. This is to make sure your personal information stays secure. You should receive your code within 5-10 business days. Be sure to enter your security code before the expiry date noted in your letter.

- For more information, go to

Stay connected (

To receive updates when new information is added to our Web site, you can:

- follow the CRA on Twitter - @CanRevAgency;

- subscribe to a CRA electronic mailing list; and

- add our RSS feeds to your feed reader.

You can also watch our tax-related videos on YouTube.

Contact Information

  • Noel Carisse
    Media Relations
    Canada Revenue Agency