Canada Revenue Agency

Canada Revenue Agency

April 15, 2013 14:54 ET

Tax Tip: No Income? File Anyway or You Could Miss Out on Credits and Benefits

Did you know?

OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - April 15, 2013) -

Even if you have no income to report for 2012, you should still file your income tax and benefit return by April 30, 2013 to be eligible for some tax credits and benefits.

Important facts

- Eligibility for certain benefit payments such as the goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) credit and the Canada child tax benefit is based on information in your yearly tax return.

- If you don't file, you could miss out on benefits and credits you're entitled to. If you don't file on time, your benefit payments may be interrupted.

- You have until midnight on April 30, 2013 to file your 2012 income tax and benefit return.

- Keep any receipts and documentation for at least six years. If the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) reviews your return, you will need your receipts to support your claims.

Why not file online this year?

- When you file your return online, you receive your refund faster. When you file online and sign up for direct deposit, you may receive your refund in as little as eight days! For information on how to request direct deposit, go to

- Filing online is easy. Certified software programs and Web services (some of which are free to use) guide you through the process, do your calculations for you, and ensure you don't miss out on credits and benefits you may be eligible for. For a list of software and web applications, including free options, go to

- To file your return online, all you need is your social insurance number and date of birth.

- Filing online is secure. The CRA uses the same high level of online security used by Canadian financial institutions.

If you want to file your return on paper, you can download and print the form from our Web site, or you can visit your local Canada Post office and pick one up. If you do not have access to the Internet or do not live close to a post office, you can call the CRA at 1-800-959-2221 and ask for a General income tax and benefit package to be mailed to you.

Stay connected (

To receive updates when new information is added to our Web site, you can:

- follow the CRA on Twitter - @CanRevAgency;

- subscribe to a CRA electronic mailing list; and

- add our RSS feeds to your feed reader.

You can also watch our tax-related videos on YouTube.

Contact Information

  • Noel Carisse
    Media Relations
    Canada Revenue Agency