Canada Revenue Agency

Canada Revenue Agency

April 08, 2014 10:58 ET

Tax Tip: No Income to Report? File Anyway, or You Could Miss Out on Credits and Benefits!

Did you know?

OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - April 8, 2014) - Even if you have no income to report for 2013, you should still file your income tax and benefit return by April 30, 2014, to be eligible to receive certain tax credits and benefits on time.

Important facts

Eligibility for certain benefit payments is based on information from your yearly tax return. If you don't file your income tax and benefit return, you could miss out on these credits and benefits. For example:

- the goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) credit and integrated provincial and territorial programs;

- the Canada child tax benefit (CCTB) and integrated provincial and territorial programs. If you have a spouse or common-law partner, they must also file a return for you to receive your benefit payment; and

- the universal child care benefit (UCCB).

Keep any receipts and documents for at least six years. If the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) reviews your return, you will need your receipts to support your claims.

Why file online this year?

- When you file your return online, you receive your refund faster. When you file online and sign up for direct deposit, you may receive your refund in as little as eight days! For information on how to request direct deposit, go to

- Filing online helps to ensure there are no interruptions to the benefit and credit payments you receive.

- Filing online is easy. Certified software programs and web applications (some of which are free to use) guide you through the process, do your calculations for you, and make sure you don't miss out on credits and benefits you may be eligible for. For a list of software and web applications, including free options, go to

- To file your return online, all you need is your social insurance number and date of birth.

- Filing online is secure. The CRA uses the same high level of online security Canadian financial institutions use.

If you want to file your return on paper, you can download and print the form from our website, you can visit your local Canada Post office and pick one up, or you can order one using our online order form. If you do not have access to the Internet or do not live close to a post office, you can call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281 and ask us to mail a general income tax and benefit package to you.

CRA online services make filing easier and let you get your refund faster

The CRA's online services are fast, easy, and secure. Register for My Account and you can also change your address, view your tax slips, change your return, check your benefit and credit payments and more. Sign up for direct deposit too! Your refund and any benefit or credit payments owed to you will be deposited directly into your account, putting your money in your pocket faster. For more information, go to

Stay connected

To receive updates when new information is added to our website, you can:

- Follow the CRA on Twitter - @CanRevAgency.

- Subscribe to a CRA electronic mailing list.

- Add our RSS feeds to your feed reader.

You can also watch our tax-related videos on YouTube.

Contact Information

  • Noel Carisse
    Media Relations
    Canada Revenue Agency