OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Oct. 7, 2016) - Office of the Taxpayers' Ombudsman
The 2015-2016 Annual Report of the Taxpayers' Ombudsman, Sherra Profit, was tabled in the House of Commons today by Emmanuel Dubourg, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of National Revenue.
The Annual Report provides a detailed look at the activities of the Taxpayers' Ombudsman and her Office, key achievements, and outreach activities for the 2015-2016 fiscal year.
In the reporting period, the Ombudsman and her Office resolved hundreds of taxpayer complaints, responded to thousands of enquiries, completed or closed outstanding systemic examinations, and conducted outreach activities to engage taxpayers and inform them about her role.
The work of the Ombudsman focuses on three broad areas: increasing awareness about taxpayer service rights and the services offered by her Office, resolving individual service complaints, and improving the service that taxpayers receive from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
- 2,562 telephone enquiries were received.
- 1,408 new service-related complaints were received.
- 1,352 files were closed including:
- 209 individual service complaint files requiring an examination were completed.
- 424 files were sent to the CRA Service Complaints Program;
- 221 files were resolved by sending urgent request for action to the CRA;
- 220 files were closed for other reasons (such as referrals to the CRA general enquiries lines, no response to requests for additional information, and withdrawn complaints);
- 278 were closed because they were outside of the mandate.
- 10 outstanding systemic examinations were completed or closed.
- Since February 2016, the Ombudsman publishes the results of completed systemic examinations on her website.
"Soon after I started as the Taxpayers' Ombudsman in July 2015, I understood how valuable the role of my Office is in resolving the service issues of individual taxpayers, helping to enhance the CRA's accountability, and improving the level of service it provides. I am proud that we are able to help serve taxpayers in this way."
- Sherra Profit, Taxpayers' Ombudsman
The Taxpayers' Ombudsman's Annual Report can be found online at www.oto-boc.gc.ca.
Follow us on Twitter at @OTO_Canada
Subscribe to our electronic mailing list
Add our RSS feed to your feed reader