VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA--(Marketwired - Aug. 18, 2016) - TELUS is bringing the home of the future to the present-day PNE, giving fairgoers a sneak peek into what will soon be possible when homes are connected to a state-of-the art fibre optic network.
In addition to showcasing the most cutting-edge technology available today, the Future Home takes us into the future by previewing smart-home innovations that will become commonplace in homes connected to the lightning-fast PureFibre fibre optic network. TELUS collaborated with technology leaders including Samsung, Nokia, Withings and IBM to help bring the near-term possibilities enabled by dramatically faster Internet speeds to life.
The 585-square-foot concept home simulates a small condo and offers an immersive technology experience demonstrating how technology will soon make our lives safer, healthier and more efficient than ever before:
- Biometric security systems will allow us to lock and unlock our homes using facial recognition; keeping our homes safer and more secure
- Smart fridges will plan our menus while smart cooktops will guide us through new recipes with a step-by-step instructions and even calculate the nutritional value of our meals to make sure we stay on track with our wellness plans
- A connected home office with an interactive touch table will make traditional commuting a thing of the past as we connect with our colleagues and customers over high-definition video conference
- A connected home gym will keep us healthier by making exercising an engaging and immersive experience, while home health monitors will allow us to conduct personal health assessments and share information with medical professionals from the comfort of our home
- Connected sensors and cameras will allow us to remotely monitor our children, pets and even our plants on our smartphones, providing us with peace of mind like never before
- Digital art will bring our décor to life and allow us to change the look of our wall to suit our moods
- Next-generation home entertainment will be enjoyed through virtual reality and the movie-theatre experience will come right to our living rooms when the lifelike 4K ultra HD Optik TV experience is brought to life on an awe-inspiring 78" Samsung Curved UHD TV
The arrival of the Future Home follows TELUS' announcement last year that it is investing $1 billion to connect Vancouver homes and businesses to the TELUS PureFibre network, which currently offers plans with symmetrical upload and download speeds of up to 150 Mbps and an astonishing 1TB of capacity. TELUS also recently became the first and only provider in Western Canada to offer the stunning clarity of ultra-high-definition TV with the launch of Optik 4K.
"The TELUS PureFibre network is the most advanced communications infrastructure available in the world today and will soon bring symmetrical speeds of a gigabit and higher to homes and businesses throughout Vancouver," said Tony Geheran, EVP & President, Broadband Networks, TELUS. "We're building the network of the future in Vancouver and have created the Future Home to offer a compelling glimpse into how this technology will soon transform our homes and nearly every aspect of our lives."
All Future Home visitors will have the opportunity to enter a contest sponsored by TELUS, where they will have a chance to win a prize pack, courtesy of Samsung, which includes a 55" Samsung UHD LED Smart TV (retail value $1,600), a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 LTE 9.7 (retail value $600) and a Samsung Galaxy S7 edge (retail value $850) - no purchase is necessary.
The Future Home will be located west of the Agrodome at the PNE from August 20 to September 5 (closed August 22 and 29). Free tours will be open to the public daily from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.
While at the PNE, visitors can also take a selfie at the stunning VANCOUVER mural, designed by mosaic artist Jason Dussault and gifted to the PNE by TELUS, on display in the PNE Amphitheatre.
For more information about TELUS Fibre and the Future Home, please visit telus.com/Vancouver or fibre.telus.com/futurehome.
TELUS (TSX:T)(NYSE:TU) is Canada's fastest-growing national telecommunications company, with $12.6 billion of annual revenue and 12.5 million subscriber connections, including 8.4 million wireless subscribers, 1.6 million high-speed Internet subscribers, 1.4 million residential network access lines and 1.0 million TELUS TV customers. TELUS provides a wide range of communications products and services, including wireless, data, Internet protocol (IP), voice, television, entertainment and video, and is Canada's largest healthcare IT provider.
In support of our philosophy to give where we live, TELUS, our team members and retirees have contributed $440 million to charitable and not-for-profit organizations and volunteered more than 6.8 million hours of service to local communities since 2000. Created in 2005 by President and CEO Darren Entwistle, TELUS' 11 Canadian community boards and 4 International boards have led the Company's support of grassroots charities and have contributed more than $54 million in support of over 4,900 local charitable projects, enriching the lives of more than 2 million children and youth, annually. TELUS was honoured to be named the most outstanding philanthropic corporation globally for 2010 by the Association of Fundraising Professionals, becoming the first Canadian company to receive this prestigious international recognition.
For more information about TELUS, please visit telus.com.