SUNNYVALE, CA and SAO PAULO, BRAZIL--(Marketwire - Nov 8, 2012) - Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), the industry leader in network innovation, today announced that Terra, a leading global digital media company that reaches a monthly audience of approximately 100 million with entertainment, sports and news content, has selected Juniper Networks® QFabric™ architecture for a data center network that scales with simplicity to help meet growing consumer demand for online media.
Beginning with its selection of the Juniper Networks QFX Series switch last year, Terra has completed its data center network transformation by seamlessly transitioning those switches into nodes in a single-tier QFabric architecture, protecting original investments while obtaining a flat network that is easy to manage and operate as a single switch. With the QFabric architecture, Terra is ready to support events that will place Brazil on the global stage -- and where streaming video will be in highest demand -- including the Confederation Cup in 2013, World Cup in 2014 and the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.
- The QFabric architecture has delivered major improvements to the performance, scalability and agility of Terra's data centers in the United States and Brazil, optimizing consumers' interactive experiences with the company's online multimedia services across 17 countries. A single QFabric instance can support up to 6,144 10GbE ports within a single data center network fabric, providing the agility and scalability to grow as demand increases.
- During the London Olympics this past summer, Terra was the only online broadcaster in Latin America with Web and mobile broadcasting rights. During the Games, Terra simultaneously transmitted 4,760 hours of high-definition streaming video to 100 million viewers over 36 channels through the Web, mobile phones and tablets.
- Terra began with QFX3500 10GbE top-of-rack switches earlier this year to optimize the delivery of cloud-based services to its customers before seamlessly transitioning those same switches to the edge nodes of a single-tier network with the QFabric architecture.
- As a key component of Juniper's "3-2-1" data center network architecture, the QFabric family of products enabled Terra to consolidate thousands of ports by simplifying its switching design through fewer devices and interconnections while also improving scale, performance, manageability and reducing total cost of ownership.
- Terra further consolidated its data center architecture with the QFabric architecture by leveraging support for converged storage, further reducing total cost of ownership with less network complexity and less chance of misconfigurations and downtime.
- The deployment was supported by Sao Paolo-based integration partner, Binário, which was named Juniper Networks Latin American Partner of the Year for 2011. An integration partner of Juniper's for several years, Binario focuses on designing, delivering and maintaining complex networking projects.
"As a leader in online media, Terra processes traffic from tens of millions of consumers around the world. In order to maintain the service levels and superior experience our customers have grown to expect, we knew we had to relieve the burden on our network. We looked for a networking vendor with a vision for a solution that could scale across multiple data centers yet be managed with the operational simplicity of a single switch. We found that starting with Juniper's QFX3500 as an onramp to QFabric helped us to seamlessly take our network to the next level. Additionally, the performance and lower total cost of ownership made QFabric an easy choice."
- Werner Michels, infrastructure, network and broadcast engineering director, Terra
"The mobile Internet and cloud computing are growing exponentially. As a result, data centers need to be equipped to handle the extreme bandwidth pressures of multimedia content, both now and into the next decade. Juniper's QFabric data center architecture will provide Terra with an elegant solution that can handle these extraordinary demands while cutting costs and complexity for the business."
- Jonathan Davidson, senior vice president and general manager, Campus and Data Center Business Unit, Juniper Networks
About Juniper Networks
Juniper Networks is in the business of network innovation. From devices to data centers, from consumers to cloud providers, Juniper Networks delivers the software, silicon and systems that transform the experience and economics of networking. Additional information can be found at Juniper Networks (www.juniper.net) or connect with Juniper on Twitter and Facebook.
Juniper Networks and Junos are registered trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. in the United States and other countries. The Juniper Networks and Junos logos and QFabric are trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. All other trademarks, service marks, registered trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of their respective owners.