SOURCE: Delaware River Waterfront Corporation
PHILADELPHIA, PA--(Marketwire - Nov 14, 2012) - The Delaware River Waterfront Corporation continues one of Philadelphia's most iconic wintertime traditions with the 19th season of the Blue Cross RiverRink at Penn's Landing. The Blue Cross RiverRink is "A Cool Place to Be" from November 23, 2012 through March 3, 2013, at 101 S. Columbus Boulevard on the Delaware River. With an array of special events, new Friday afternoon skating sessions, and now the ability to buy advance tickets online, the Blue Cross RiverRink is open seven days a week, including holidays, for outdoor winter fun for the whole family.
Featuring an outdoor regulation-sized rink overlooking the Delaware River and an indoor heated facility with a snack bar, game room, and more, Philadelphia's premier outdoor winter entertainment venue re-opens officially at 12 noon on Friday, November 23, 2012, with the first skating session of the season. Media and the public are invited to attend the Blue Cross RiverRink Grand Opening Celebration on Friday, November 23, 2012, with a Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony at 12 noon followed by a free Q102 Jingle Ball Preview Concert featuring Megan & Liz. There will be two special skating sessions that day -- one at 12 noon and another at 3 pm -- in addition to the regularly scheduled evening sessions.
Megan & Liz are Michigan-born, Nashville-based 19-year-old fraternal twin sisters who pen pop anthems that are as infectious as they are inspiring. Currently one of Billboard's "21 under 21: Music's Hottest Minors 2012," the pop duo have resonated with an entire generation of fans via social media. To date, they've racked up over 200 million views on YouTube and won over 1 million subscribers. The New York Times describes Megan & Liz's current hit single, "Bad For Me," as "refreshingly pure pop." The song, written with Boys Like Girls frontman Martin Johnson, was featured in Macy's 2012 national mstylelab Back to School campaign and is rapidly rising up the pop charts.
Hosted by Maxwell from Q102, skaters will have the best view of the concert from the ice. Two skaters will be randomly selected for a meet and greet with Megan & Liz following the concert. The Q Crew will be on site until 2 pm with games and prizes and there will be free fun photos and photo keepsakes as part of the Opening Day celebration.
New For 2012
In addition to regular skating in the evenings seven days a week, and afternoon sessions on weekends, the Blue Cross RiverRink has added a brand new Friday afternoon skating session from 1:30 - 5:30 pm for the entire season. Also for the first time, Blue Cross RiverRink tickets for any session, including the popular New Year's Eve Parties on Ice and Valentine's Day Sweetheart Skate, can be bought in advance up to 24 hours before the session. All session tickets are on sale as of Friday, November 16 and may be purchased at www.riverrink.com. Downloadable coupons are also available on the website for discounted tickets.
Another addition for 2012 is a mobile app for iPhone and Android called Go Figure! This free application, available in the iTunes store and Google Play Shop, demonstrates to Blue Cross RiverRink visitors the fitness benefits of ice skating. Independence Blue Cross (IBC) is the founding and presenting sponsor of the Blue Cross RiverRink, Philadelphia's only outdoor public ice rink, and IBC helped develop this mobile app as an added benefit for Blue Cross RiverRink skaters -- many of whom are also IBC members.
By simply pressing "play," users can calculate the amount of time they have spent skating, and the app will calculate how many calories they have burned. Participants can also press "pause" to take a break or stop to log their statistics. Application users can also review current, recent, and overall statistics or try skating tricks by viewing the quick mini-tutorials. The application recommends how to burn more calories by trying tricks like Forward Swizzles, One Foot Glides, Cross Overs, Turning Backwards, Backward Swizzles, and a Two Foot Spin.
The Go Figure! app contains information on the fitness benefits of ice skating as well as tips on lacing your skates and recommendations for beginners. It also provides details on skating sessions and special events at the Blue Cross RiverRink -- everything a visitor needs to make a visit to the Blue Cross RiverRink complete. Links to Twitter and Facebook are also options.
2012-2013 Schedule and Special Events
Regular skating session hours at the Blue Cross RiverRink are:
Mondays - Thursdays: 6 - 9 pm
Fridays: 1:30 - 5:30 pm (NEW FOR 2012), 6 - 8 pm, 8:30 - 10:30 pm*, and 11 pm - 1 am*
Saturday: 12:30 - 2:30 pm, 3 - 5:30 pm, 6 - 8 pm, 8:30 - 10:30 pm*, and 11pm - 1 am*
Sundays: 12:30 - 2:30 pm, 3 pm - 5:30 pm, and 6 - 9 pm
*The rink features a live DJ every Friday and Saturday night at the later sessions. Special Holiday Hours and other extended sessions are outlined at www.riverrink.com or in the fact sheet. Skating Lessons are available on Sunday mornings from 10:30 am - 12 noon. Special Sled Skating Sessions for people with disabilities are available Sunday from 9:30 - 10:30 am. Reservations for these special sessions are required. To make a reservation for skating lessons or sled skating sessions, call 215-925-RINK or buy advance tickets online at www.riverrink.com. Skating admission is $9 and skate rental is available for $4. Convenient parking is also available on site for only $12. Skating sessions are subject to change due to inclement weather and private rentals. Keep updated at www.riverrink.com.
In addition to the Grand Opening Celebration, other special events throughout the season include:
- Skate with Santa and His Friends, Sunday December 9, 1 - 5 pm - Join Santa Claus for his exciting official arrival aboard the Spirit of Philadelphia at the Blue Cross RiverRink, meet and greet your favorite mascots for a free keepsake photo, and ice skate with Santa and his mascot pals at this Blue Cross RiverRink exclusive event.
- New Year's Eve Parties on Ice, Monday December 31, from 5 - 7 pm or 11 pm - 1 am - Two family-friendly sessions that boast one of the best views of the city's fireworks displays over the Delaware River. Both of these parties are great for all ages and ideal for families as a non-alcoholic way to ring in the New Year. The Party on Ice from 5 - 7 pm is perfect for those who can't stay awake until midnight and includes snacks, beverages, noisemakers and party hats. This party also includes free face painting, crafts, and mummers as well as strolling entertainment and the best place to view the 6pm fireworks show. The Party on Ice from 11 pm - 1 am will include free noise makers, New Year's paraphernalia, photo keepsakes, and entertainment including psychic readers, strolling entertainment by Mummertime, and the best place to view the midnight fireworks, presented by Sugarhouse Casino. (Advance tickets, $35 per skater and $25 per spectator, are required.)
The Sugarhouse New Year's Eve Fireworks on the Waterfront are a grand New Year's Eve tradition with twice the fireworks and twice the fun on December 31. Enjoy unique, choreographed and synchronized soundtracks to fireworks launched from barges in the middle of the Delaware River and heard on both the Philadelphia and Camden waterfronts. KYW Newsradio will broadcast the official soundtrack to both shows. The midnight show will be televised live by CBS3 following a special pre-show of events leading up to the countdown. Sponsored by Delaware River Waterfront Corporation, Coopers Ferry Partnership, Greater Philadelphia Tourism Marketing Corporation, City of Philadelphia, City of Camden, CBS 3, and KYW Newsradio1060.
- Blue Cross RiverRink Salute to First Responders, Saturday, January 12, 2013, 1 - 5 pm - Hosted by WMMR's Pierre Robert, this event is in appreciation of all those who work to ensure the safety of the public. All police officers, firefighters, and first responders who show official identification will receive complimentary ice skating for themselves and three family members.
- Daddy Daughter Skate, Thursday, January 31, 2013, 6 - 9 pm - Hosted by WMMR, a memorable evening of Dads, Pop-Pops, and father figures enjoying ice skating with their daughters, granddaughters, and the special girls in their lives at the Blue Cross RiverRink.
- Sweetheart Skate, Thursday February 14, 2013, 6 - 8 pm or 8:30 - 10:30 pm - Romance your someone special at the annual Sweetheart Skate at the Blue Cross RiverRink. Free photos and complimentary Valentine's Day flowers included. (Advance tickets are available.)
Independence Blue Cross is the founding and presenting sponsor of the Blue Cross RiverRink, which is owned and operated by the Delaware River Waterfront Corporation. Season-long supporters include: Coca-Cola Refreshments of Philadelphia, CBS 3 and CW Philly, and the Greater Philadelphia Tourism Marketing Corporation.
About the Blue Cross RiverRink and the DRWC
The Blue Cross RiverRink at Penn's Landing, Philadelphia's only outdoor public ice rink, is located at 101 S. Columbus Boulevard on the Delaware River. For more information on skating sessions, ice skating lessons, birthday parties, or private receptions, please call 215.925.RINK or visit www.riverrink.com. Follow on Twitter at @RiverRink or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/RiverRink.
The Delaware River Waterfront Corporation (DRWC) is a nonprofit corporation organized exclusively for the benefit of the City of Philadelphia and its citizens. DRWC acts as the steward of the Delaware River waterfront to provide a benefit to all of the citizens and visitors of the City. The fundamental purpose of DRWC is to design, develop and manage the central Delaware River waterfront in Philadelphia between Oregon and Allegheny Avenues. DRWC intends to transform the central Delaware River waterfront into a vibrant destination location for recreational, cultural, and commercial activities for the residents and visitors of Philadelphia. DRWC will serve as a catalyst for high quality investment in public parks, trails, maritime, residential, retail, hotel and other improvements that create a vibrant amenity, extending Philadelphia to the river's edge.
Note: The full media kit is online at www.riverrink.com/mediakit. Downloadable press releases, the Blue Cross RiverRink Fact Sheet, and high-resolution photos are all available. Request the password from Cari Feiler Bender at firstname.lastname@example.org.