Human Resources and Skills Development Canada

Human Resources and Skills Development Canada

December 05, 2010 11:00 ET

The Government of Canada Cuts Red Tape for New Parents

MONTRÉAL, QUÉBEC--(Marketwire - Dec. 5, 2010) - Mr. Bernard Généreux, Member of Parliament for Montmagny–L'Islet–Kamouraska–Rivière-du-Loup, on behalf of the honourable Diane Finley, Minister of Human Resources and Skills Development, along with Mrs. Yolande James, Minister of Family, announced today the newly integrated application process for newborn registration.

The Government of Québec, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and Service Canada are now offering bundled services at birth. New parents no longer need to register their newborn's birth with the province and then apply to Service Canada for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) or to CRA for children's benefits for their baby. For the first time, all three services are being offered together, which will mean less paperwork for parents and, ultimately, faster benefit payments.

Easy access to a SIN for a newborn makes it simpler for parents to access federal benefits, such as Registered Education Savings Plans, the Canada Education Savings Grant and the Canada Learning Bond. Parents need only provide their consent on the birth registration form to release their child's birth information to Service Canada and CRA.

"As part of our ongoing efforts to improve services offered to Canadian families, we have reduced administrative formalities and now provide parents with a simple, practical and sure way to register the birth of their child, request a Social Insurance Number and apply for federal children's benefits, all in a single step," said MP Généreux.

Applications for SINs and federal children's benefits can still be made directly to Service Canada and CRA, respectively.

"With the new birth registration form, we are reducing the steps parents need to take when their child is born. Thanks to this integrated service, parents no longer have to fill out multiple forms—just one form is needed for all of the applications! This partnership with the federal government is in keeping with other measures we have undertaken to simplify processes for Québec families, whether they need to get a health insurance card or access the child assistance measure or the Québec Parental Insurance Plan," said Minister James.

For more information on the integrated process for birth registration, SIN application and federal children's benefits, visit or call 418-644-4545 or 1-800-361-9596 (toll free).

For more information on Service Canada, please call us at 1 800 O-Canada (1-800-622-6232) or 1-800-926-9105 if you use a teletypewriter (TTY). You can also visit us online at or in person at over 600 points of service in communities throughout Canada.

This news release is available in alternative formats on request.

Contact Information

  • Office of Minister Finley
    Michelle Bakos
    Press Secretary
    Human Resources and Skills Development Canada
    Media Relations Office
    Office of Minister of Family
    Genevieve Hinse
    Press Officer