TORONTO, ON--(Marketwired - December 12, 2016) - The Canadian Magazine Awards/Grands prix du magazine are proud to announce that submissions for the inaugural awards program have opened today, December 12, 2016. The call for submissions will close on January 30, 2017. Interested creators and magazines can submit at maggrandsprix.ca.
"We've spent months getting the inaugural Magazine Grands Prix ready for this moment -- and I can't wait to see what our diverse jury of magazine readers will honour through these new awards: the boldest, the best, and the most influential media in Canada in 2016," said Matthew Holmes, Magazines Canada's President and CEO. "Let the contest for the Magazine Grands Prix begin!"
The inaugural Magazine Grands Prix feature 13 awards for individual creators and 13 for creative and editorial teams. The top two "Grands Prix" awards will recognize the editor of the year and the magazine of the year.
Submissions are welcome from all Canadian magazines -- large and small, niche, specialty and general interest, local, regional and national -- on any platform including multi-media content.
Submissions are $100 per entry for magazines and magazine staff. The Magazine Grands Prix are pleased to support small magazines and freelancers with a reduced rate of $50 per entry. (Note: There are no limits to the number of entries.)
The exciting new Magazine Grands Prix Fellowship Program is also now inviting emerging journalists to apply for a series of paid positions. (There is no fee to apply.) Fellows will work with a lead mentors at a host magazine based on their interests, and gain valuable experience in various areas of the magazine business. Applications for Fellowships close January 30, 2017. Find out more.
The Magazine Grands Prix recently announced an ambitious set of guiding principles showcasing the magazine sector's full range and excellence, and reflective of Canada's diversity. Read the full list of guiding principles.
The judging panel is co-chaired by Stanley Péan and Soraya Peerbaye, and is reflective of these guiding aspirations. The Magazines Grands Prix are pleased to announce a diverse panel of more than 35 judges, including:
- Sophie Durocher, columnist, influential blogger and best-selling author
- Jamie Michaels, head of Brand Strategy at Twitter Canada
- Candy Palmater, broadcaster, writer, international keynote speaker, film and TV producer, multiple award-winning TV series The Candy Show creator, comedian and host extraordinaire, executive producer of three films on Mi'kmaw culture, and activist
- Rodney Saint-Éloi, writer, publisher and recipient of the 2012 Charles-Biddle award for his contribution to Québèc arts and culture
- Devyani Saltzman, writer, curator, journalist and Director of Literary Arts at the Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity
The full list of jurists will be released during the submissions period at maggrandsprix.ca.
CELEBRATE THE WINNERS AT THE FÊTE
The dinner reception and awards presentation will take place on April 27, 2017 at the Four Season Hotel in Toronto, in conjunction with Magazines Canada's annual MagNet conference, North America's largest annual gathering of magazine professionals.
Awards for best story (written categories, awarded to an individual)
1. General Interest
2. Service and Lifestyle
3. Food and Drink
4. Fashion and Beauty
5. Home Design and Décor (including gardening)
6. Entertainment and Celebrities
7. Literature and Art
8. Science, Business and Politics
9. Niche/Special Interest
Awards for best art (visual categories, awarded to an individual)
10. Best feature photography or videography
11. Best illustration or motion graphics
Awards for best magazine (awarded to a magazine)
12. General Interest
13. Service and Lifestyle
14. Food and Drink
15. Fashion and Beauty
16. Home Design and Décor (including gardening)
17. Entertainment and Celebrities
18. Literature and Art
19. Science, Business and Politics
20. Niche/Special Interest
21. Best Art Direction of an Entire Issue (awarded to an individual)
22. Best Multi-Platform Story Treatment (awarded to a magazine)
23. Best Multi-Platform Magazine Brand (awarded to a magazine)
24. Best Cover (awarded to a magazine)
25. Editor Grand Prix (awarded to a nominated individual)
26. Magazine Grand Prix (awarded to a magazine)
See the full category descriptions.
As part of a commitment to transparency and continuous improvement, the Magazine Grands Prix also pledge to provide an avenue for feedback and input into their processes and decisions. We invite the public to engage and share ideas on how to improve the awards by writing to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find the full details on the awards at maggrandsprix.ca.
About the Magazine Grands Prix
Starting in 2017, a bold new awards program will celebrate the best of Canada's magazine media. The Magazine Grands Prix include 26 categories: 13 awards for individuals and creators, and 13 for magazines which honour creative and editorial vision and execution. Award categories are open to submissions from any platform and extend to new media applications, including videography, motion graphics and multi-platform treatment. The Magazine Grands Prix will also present a series of fellowships to Canadian journalists working on stories that explore in depth the issues that are most important to Canadians.
About Magazines Canada
Magazines Canada is the national association representing the majority of Canadian-owned, Canadian-content consumer, cultural, specialty, professional and business magazines. French and English member titles cover a wide range of interests across multiple platforms including arts and culture, business and professional, lifestyle and food, news and politics, sports and leisure, women and youth. The association focuses on government affairs, professional development, coordinating national awards programs and marketing campaigns, and delivering services that meet the needs of the magazine industry. Visit magazinescanada.ca.
Image Available: http://www.marketwire.com/library/MwGo/2016/12/12/11G124848/Images/CMA_Logo_teal_Web-7979bd47c294a8d7ae28f3cddbabef3f.jpg