LEEDS, UNITED KINGDOM--(Marketwire - Nov. 16, 2012) - Dogs and cats are some of the most common domestic pets in the UK.
In 2011, the UK pet population included nearly eight million dogs and eight million cats.* People buying a new dog or cat may want to consider pet insurance to help avoid potentially expensive veterinary bills.
There are a number of things that owners may wish to consider when buying pet insurance. These are listed below:
- Level of cover - An important aspect to think about is the level of cover you may require. Basic levels of cover for dogs and cats could have lower compensation awards compared to standard and superior levels of cover.
- Exclusions of cover - Before taking out a policy, pet owners might want to do their homework and review to see exactly what can be covered. This can include a range of things such as vet fees, death from illnesses, overseas travel and theft or straying. However, there may be some conditions to any pet insurance policy you choose.
- The price of cover - The price of the policy will be another contributing factor that pet owners may wish to investigate before buying.
- Age limits - If pet owners have an older dog or cat that they wish to insure, it could be worth looking into age limits and what is the most suitable option for your loveable household pet. Similar restrictions may apply to newborn puppies and kittens.
Notes for editors
* Pet Population 2011, Pet Food Manufacturers' Association research http://www.pfma.org.uk/pet-population-2011/
About Asda Pet Insurance
- Cat cover from £4.05* per month and dog cover from £7.95* per month
- Choose from 3 levels of pet insurance cover - Value, Standard and Superior
- Pay monthly at no extra cost †
- Up to 10% online discount -
- Pays up to £6,000 towards your vet's bills for accident or illness with Superior cover pet insurance #
- Up to 20% online discount when insuring 2 or more pets ~
- Caring bereavement counselling service
Asda Financial Services and Asda Stores Limited are introducer appointed representatives of BDML Connect Limited who arrange and administer the policy. This insurance is underwritten by QBE Insurance (Europe) No 1761561. Both BDML Connect Ltd and QBE Insurance (Europe) are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
* 10% of customers who purchased Asda Value Pet Insurance between 1st September and 31st December 2011 would have paid this price or less. Prices include IPT, reflect June 2011 premium rates and may include online and/or multi-pet discounts.
- 20% discount for insuring 2 or more pets consists of 10% online discount and up to 10% multi-pet discount.
† 0% APR. Available to those aged 18 and over.
# Up to the sum insured. For continuous treatment payments must be up-to-date and your policy renewed. Superior cover only.