Canada Revenue Agency

Canada Revenue Agency

February 18, 2016 14:52 ET

Top Questions We Get at Tax Time

OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Feb. 18, 2016) -

Every year around tax time, Canadians call the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) with a variety of questions. See below for our answers to the top questions asked at tax time. A number of these can be addressed if you are registered for the CRA's My Account service.

To register for My Account, go to and select "CRA register." You will need to provide:

  • your social insurance number;
  • your date of birth;
  • your current postal code or ZIP code; and
  • an amount you entered on your income tax and benefit return, so have your copy on hand (the amount requested changes and it could be from either the current tax year or the previous one).

Top questions

How do I change my address?

You can do it online if you have registered for My Account or by calling us at 1-800-959-8281. You can also mail or fax a completed Form RC325, Address Change Request, or a signed letter to your tax centre. Your signed letter must include your social insurance number, your new address, and your moving date.

How do I change my marital status?

You can change your marital status online by using the option "Change my marital status" through My Account, by calling us at 1-800-387-1193 or by sending a completed Form RC65, Marital Status Change to your tax centre.

What is my balance owing or where is my refund?

You can find the amount of your balance owing online by logging into My Account or the MyCRA mobile app. If you have a refund, you can find the refund details online in My Account or using the MyCRA mobile app, which includes the refund method (direct deposit or mailed cheque), the date it was sent and the amount. You can also call the Tax Information Phone Service (TIPS) at 1-800-267-6999 to ask about your refund. TIPS is available from mid-February to December 2016.

How can I get a copy of my notice of assessment or reassessment?

You can get a copy quickly and easily through My Account. If you are registered for My Account you will be able to view and print detailed information on an assessment or reassessment of your income tax and benefit return for the current year and the 11 previous years.

You can choose to receive your tax correspondence online through My Account's online mail service. Register through My Account by selecting "Manage online mail" or by entering your email address on your tax return. When you register for the service, you will receive an email when your notice of assessment or reassessment, and other CRA correspondence, is available to view online. Go to to find out more.

How do I register for direct deposit?

You can register for direct deposit online through My Account, by calling us at 1-800-959-8281 or by mail by filling out the Direct Deposit Enrolment Form and mailing it to the address indicated on the form. For more information, go to

The CRA's online services make filing and managing your taxes easier

The CRA's online services are fast, easy, and secure. You can use them to help file your income tax and benefit return, make a payment, track the status of your return, register for online mail, apply for child benefits, and more. Access the CRA's full suite of self-service options-register for My Account at today, and start managing your tax matters online!

Stay connected

To receive updates when new information is added to our website, you can:

Follow the CRA on Twitter - @CanRevAgency.

Subscribe to a CRA electronic mailing list.

Add our RSS feeds to your feed reader.

You can also watch our tax-related videos on YouTube.

Contact Information

  • Philippe Brideau
    Media Relations
    Canada Revenue Agency