Asda Money t/a Asda Financial Services Limited

September 13, 2012 01:00 ET

Top Tips for Selling Your Car

LEEDS, UNITED KINGDOM--(Marketwire - Sept. 13, 2012) - Asda Money research shows that almost a third of motorists are considering changing their car this year*. Here are a few useful tips and hints that could help if you are selling your car.

Who are you selling your vehicle to?

One of the first things to consider when selling your car is who should you sell it to. There are various options to consider, for example, you could sell your vehicle to a trader, which might involve a part exchange deal. Alternatively you could either sell it at auction or to a private seller.

Prepare your vehicle

Before selling your vehicle you will need to ensure that it is in the condition you intend to advertise it in. Before advertising, give your car a spruce up by cleaning the interior and body. Top up the oil, water and other fluid levels and take photos of it for advertising purposes on a sunny day. It could also be worth taking images of the mileage to prove the amount done to date.

Minor and cosmetic faults that can be fixed before selling might add more value to the car, too, making it more attractive to prospective buyers.

Price

The price you try to sell at is one of the most important things that you will need to address. Sellers will need to bear in mind three basic figures; the ideal price, a fair price they will settle for, and the minimal amount they will accept.

Documents

There are a few documents both the seller and buyer will need to fill in to register the vehicle in the name of the new keeper. It is important to inform the DVLA as soon as possible so they know the seller is no longer responsible for paying the vehicle tax or penalties for non-payments. Car insurance is a legal requirement and the buyer must have insurance on the vehicle to be able to drive it away.

For people buying a new car, Asda Money could offer cheap car insurance quotes, whatever their vehicle choice.

Notes to editors

*Source: Asda Insurance Research (Nov 2011), 19.87% polled said 'maybe' when asked if they were thinking of changing their car in the next 12 months (November 2011- 2012). 11.14% of those polled said yes. Combined total of 31.01%.

About Asda Car Insurance

  • 5 star Defaqto rating

  • Breakdown ^ and legal cover included as standard

  • Cover starts from £261*

  • Multi-car cover, for up to 4 cars and people (subject to underwriting criteria)

  • A courtesy car as standard following an event that is covered by your policy

  • 10% online discount

Optional No Claims Discount protection if you hold 4 or more years No Claims Discount.

^ For vehicles under 8 years of age. Applies to comprehensive policy only. Cover is added on the first day the policy starts or renewal date.

* 10% of all customers buying car insurance with us from 1st Jan 2012 to 30th April 2012 paid £261 or less. Source: Southern Rock Insurance Company Limited. The premium you pay will depend upon individual circumstances, cover chosen and driving history.

Asda Money is a trading name of Asda Financial Services Limited. Asda Financial Services Limited uses a selection of companies to provide its products and services. Please refer to www.ASDA.com/money for details of our product partners and the relevant terms and conditions for each of our products and services.

Asda Car Insurance is a trading style of Asda Financial Services which is an Introducer Appointed Representative of Commercial Vehicle Direct Insurance Services Ltd, who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (Firm reference No. 302216). Commercial Vehicle Direct Insurance Services Ltd registered in England and Wales number 04137311. Registered office: MMT Centre, Severn Bridge, Aust, Bristol BS35 4BL.

Contact Information