WATERTOWN, MA--(Marketwired - Jun 18, 2013) - Tufts Health Plan announced today it is the first health plan in New England to earn recognition as a top employer for workers age 50 and above from AARP, a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that improves the lives of people over age 50.
AARP and SHRM, the Society for Human Resources Management, are co-sponsors of the Best Employers for Workers Over 50 award, which is presented every two years to 50 companies nationwide. The award recognizes organizations that are "ahead of the curve in instituting policies and practices that value a multigenerational workforce."
This is the first time Tufts Health Plan applied for such recognition and it ranks No. 38 among the winning companies for 2013. Only two other organizations from MA received this distinction.
"This award communicates to the world what Tufts health Plan already knows -- that older workers are an extraordinarily valuable resource," said Jim Roosevelt, president and CEO of Tufts Health Plan. "The recognition of our commitment to diversity from AARP is significant and very meaningful."
Currently, thirty-four percent of Tufts Health Plan employees are age 50+ with an average tenure of 11 years.
Some of the Tufts Health Plan programs in place recognized by AARP include:
- The Wellness Work/Life Program (formerly the Employee Assistance Program) offers benefits relevant to older workers including counseling for issues such as living with aging parents, searching for elder care services, and providing legal advice and personal financial consultations.
- Tufts Health Plan has a relationship with Operation A.B.L.E. of Greater Boston, which offers job placement and training programs to mature workers.
- Communication skills training focuses on the skills and expectations of employees from different generations.
- Employees age 50+ can make catch-up contributions to their 401(k) plan, and may choose to invest in lifecycle funds that automatically re-allocate assets based on age or proximity to retirement.
AARP's Best Employers program seeks to increase awareness of the need for age diversity and supportive work environments. The program honors companies that have implemented policies and management practices that allow older employees to prosper and grow along with the organization. The award, given out every two years, is only bestowed to those companies that truly encompass this mission.
About Tufts Health Plan
Tufts Health Plan is a nonprofit organization nationally recognized for its commitment to providing innovative, high-quality health care coverage. The plan offers members and employers an array of health management programs, which support evidence-based approaches to health and wellness.
Tufts Health Plan is one of the few health insurers in Massachusetts to participate in the commercial, Medicare and Medicaid/subsidized markets, offering coverage across the life span regardless of age or circumstance. Its HMO and POS are ranked second in the nation by the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA)*. Its Tufts Medicare Preferred HMO earned a 4.5 star rating from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services for 2013.
Network Health, a subsidiary of Tufts Health Plan, is ranked third in the country for Medicaid plans, according to NCQA Medicaid Health Insurance Plan Rankings 2012-2013.
Tufts Health Plan recently became the first health plan in the Northeast, and one of only 20 health care organizations in the United States, to receive the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) Wellness & Health Promotion (WHP) Accreditation.
Headquartered in Massachusetts, Tufts Health Plan also serves members in Rhode Island. Visit us at www.tuftshealthplan.com.
* NCQA's Health Insurance Plan Rankings 2012-13 - Private