WICHITA, KS--(Marketwire - Dec 27, 2012) - John Wesley, CEO of Universal Lubricants®, a leader in sustainable energy solutions, today called 2012 "a turning point in sustainable business practices."
"It was a year in which the dual business objectives of sustainability and profitability came together proving that doing right by the environment is good for business," Wesley said. "The result has been increasing customer demand for our high-quality lubricants, new oil delivery, used oil recovery services, and comprehensive industrial and environmental services throughout the U.S."
Bolstered by its ECO ULTRA® line of high performance lubricants and its proprietary closed loop process, which creates an infinitely repeatable, sustainable cycle that makes oil a renewable resource, Wesley said his company is poised for continued growth in 2013.
Universal Lubricants is a leading American-based manufacturer and distributor of motor oil that collects, re-refines, blends, packages and redistributes its own oil. Each year, the U.S. produces approximately 1.3 billion gallons of used engine oils, only about 20 percent of which is re-refined perpetuating the need to import foreign oil. The rest is either burned as an industrial fuel or disposed of improperly, damaging the environment.
Looking back on 2012, Wesley reported the following Universal Lubricants milestones:
- Launching a full line of ECO ULTRA® Synthetic Blend Motor Oil made from used oil and re-refined into performance-driven, eco-friendly products.
- Securing a U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) Schedule Contract for its ECO ULTRA line of automotive and industrial motor oils, which allows federal agencies to purchase the product directly from the company (GS-21F-0157Y).
- Introducing the nation's first retail motor oil packaged in a sustainable, flexible stand-up pouch. The ECO ULTRA® FlexPak™ set a new standard in U.S. motor oil packaging. Compared to conventional hard plastic bottles, the new durable, lightweight FlexPak is made with 25 percent less material, and offers consumers a faster, easier and cleaner way to change their oil. The FlexPak was recognized with the Packaging Award for Innovation at the 2012 Automotive Aftermarket Products Expo (AAPEX), boosting company exposure and name brand recognition.
- Opening a new distribution center in Denver and expanding existing centers in Chicago and St. Louis to meet increasing demand.
- Forming an alliance with the operator of some of the country's best-known and most trusted rental car brands, to complete the car care loop for their vehicles.
- Contracting with refrigerated carrier D&D Sexton, Inc. to expand its footprint of ECO ULTRA oil users to its 415 unit truck fleet, and partnering with Interstate Distributor Company to convert its trucking fleet of over 1,300 units to ECO ULTRA.
- Expanding a number of key fleet, dealer and auto care center alliances including Colorado-based Green Garage eco-responsible auto centers and Flatirons Imports, as well as Oregon's SeQuential Pacific Biodiesal, which switched its entire fleet over to the ECO ULTRA line.
- Introduction of ECO ULTRA CNG/LNG oil consisting of up to 83 percent refined material. Specially designed for natural gas engines, this oil was certified for use by Cummins Inc. and Detroit Diesel Corporation, global leaders in natural gas engines.
"Sales of ECO ULTRA increased across the board this year at dealerships, service centers and auto shops around the country," Wesley said. "Independent studies have shown that ECO ULTRA reduces engine wear leading to fewer oil changes and reduced oil consumption. We look forward to expanding our presence in the motor oil retail market in 2013 and will be announcing new distribution facilities in new cities and states in the coming months."
About Universal Lubricants®
Founded in 1929, Universal Lubricants is a driving force in sustainability. Through its innovative closed loop process, the company collects, re-refines, blends and distributes high quality motor oil and engine lubricants throughout the U.S. It offers comprehensive industrial and environmental services, engine oil analysis and products for consumers, fleet operators, auto dealerships and service centers. Universal Lubricants operates one of the world's most technologically advanced and innovative re-refineries in Wichita, Kansas. A leader in research and development, Universal Lubricants is a Pegasus Capital Advisors portfolio company and employs more than 450 workers. For more information visit www.universallubes.com.