SOURCE: W. P. Carey & Co. LLC

W. P. Carey & Co. LLC

September 26, 2011 08:05 ET

University of Maryland Celebrates Francis King Carey School of Law

O'Malley, Cardin, Sotomayor Among Guests at Ceremony

NEW YORK, NY--(Marketwire - Sep 26, 2011) - The University of Maryland formally renamed its law school as the Francis King Carey School of Law at a name dedication ceremony on September 16, 2011. The renaming of the school celebrates a $30 million donation from the W. P. Carey Foundation, which will be used to recruit and retain faculty, support the law school's clinical program, and strengthen the school's curriculum.

Wm. Polk Carey, Chairman of the W. P. Carey Foundation, said, "This gift honors both the outstanding work performed by The University of Maryland in preparing young people for careers in the law and Carey family members who dedicated their lives and careers to education and civic duty and, for many, to the legal profession itself."

Distinguished guests at the naming ceremony, held during the Dean's Convocation, included Maryland Governor Martin J. O'Malley, U.S. Senator Benjamin Cardin and U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor.

The donation will be spread out over 10 years beginning in December 2011. The Law School has made a commitment to raise an additional $15 million on its own.

Francis King Carey, an 1880 graduate of the Law School, was Wm. Polk Carey's grandfather, and a legal and business pioneer in the community. He formed a law firm with James Piper and J. Bannister Hall Jr., which was a predecessor to what is now known as DLA Piper. The Carey family has a long history with the University of Maryland law school. Francis King Carey's elder brother, James, graduated from the school in 1875, and his son, Francis J. Carey graduated in 1912. The endowment to the University of Maryland was the latest donation by the W. P. Carey Foundation, which previously awarded $50 million to the Johns Hopkins University, home of the Carey Business School, and $50 million to Arizona State University for the W. P. Carey School of Business. The gift is the largest donation in the nearly 200-year old law school's history and one of the largest in legal education.

W. P. Carey Foundation

The W. P. Carey Foundation is a private U.S. foundation, incorporated in 1988 by William Polk Carey, Founder and Chairman of W. P. Carey & Co. LLC (NYSE: WPC). Inspired by the Carey family's legacy of educational leadership and philanthropy, The W. P. Carey Foundation's primary mission is to support educational institutions with the larger goal of improving America's competitiveness in the world. The main focus of our support to schools, universities, lecture series, chairs and other programs is on the study of business and economics, as well as on admissions procedures and college and career guidance.

Contact Information

  • FOUNDATION CONTACT:
    Juliana Harris
    W. P. Carey & Co. LLC
    212-492-1108
    Email Contact