OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - July 17, 2013) -
Following up on its previous advisory, Health Canada has identified additional unauthorized products that may have been sold by Veslon Cosmetics and/or Super Discount Distributing. These products are not authorized and may have invalid Drug Identification Numbers (DIN) on their labels.
As unauthorized products, the safety, quality and effectiveness of these products is in question Health Canada also has significant concerns about Veslon's manufacturing facility, as it has not been licensed or inspected by Health Canada for compliance with Good Manufacturing Practices and required in the Food and Drug Regulations. As a result, these products may pose a risk for patients and consumers.
Who is affected:
Any consumers or health care facilities that may have purchased products manufactured or packaged by Veslon Cosmetics and/or Super Discount Distributing. At this time, it appears most of the distribution of these unauthorized products is limited to facilities in Ontario, such as hospitals, and health care clinics. However, distribution outside of Ontario is possible. The distribution of unauthorized products may have also occurred to a small number of pharmacies.
What consumers should do:
- Do not purchase or use drugs or natural health products (NHPs) sold by Veslon Cosmetics and/or Super Discount Distributing.
- Contact your healthcare professional with any questions or concerns regarding the use of these products.
- Report any adverse reaction potentially related to Health Canada.
What industry/health professionals should do:
- Do not purchase or use any of the products sold by Veslon Cosmetics and/or Super Discount Distributing.
- Contact Health Canada if you have purchased any products from Veslon Cosmetics and/or Super Discount Distributing to assist Health Canada in tracking the distribution of these unauthorized products.
- Ensure that the products you purchased have a valid eight-digit Health Canada market authorization (DIN, NPN or DIN-HM).
- Consult the publicly available database of all authorized drug products, available on the Health Canada website. A similar database for natural heath products (NHPs) is also available.
What Health Canada is doing:
Health Canada officials have been on site at Veslon Cosmetics' manufacturing facility in order to gather information about the company's products and distribution network, which is what led to this expanded advisory. Health Canada is also contacting all known customers.
Veslon Cosmetics has no active product licences in Canada, and does not have the necessary licences to manufacture or package drugs or NHPs.
The majority of the products identified by Health Canada as potentially having been sold by Veslon Cosmetics are antiseptic solutions and gels, and similar products.
Given the lack of clarity in the company's records as to what products were sold, and when, Health Canada is advising about all products that may have been sold by the company.
Products are indicated to be used as a topical skin antiseptic, for the treatment of superficial skin infections, preparation of patients for surgery or preparing the skin for injection, for dressing wounds, burns, storage of clinical thermometers or preparation for catheterization.
|Products sold by Veslon Cosmetics and/or Super Discount Distributing
|Veslon Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol USP 230mL, 450mL
||Isopropyl Alcohol 70%
|Veslon Poviodine Detergent 450mL
||Povidone / Iodine 7.5%
|Veslon Isohogel 220mL
||Isopropyl Alcohol 70%
|Veslon Poviodine Solution 120mL
||Povidone / Iodine 10%
|Veslon Aqueous Chlorhexidine Gluconate Solution 450mL
||Chlorhexidine Gluconate 2%, Isopropyl Alcohol 4%
|Veslon Aqueous Solution (1:100) 230mL, 450mL
||Chlorhexidine 0.015%, Cetrimide 0.15%
|Veslon Aqueous Solution (1:200) 450mL
||Chlorhexidine 0.0075%, Cetrimonium Bromide 0.075%
|Veslon Sterilon Towelette
|Veslon Isopropyl Alcohol Towelette
||Isopropyl Alcohol 70%
|Veslon Sterilon Hand Disinfecting Waterless Gel 450mL
||Chlorhexidine 0.5%, Isopropyl Alcohol 70%
For more information:
Consumers and health professionals wanting more information about this advisory from Health Canada can contact the Public Enquiries Line at 613-957-2991, or toll free at 1-866-225-0709.
Media enquiries related to this Advisory should be directed to Health Canada Media Relations at 613-957-2983.
How to report problems to Health Canada:
Related Health Canada Web content:
- Advisory (July 6, 2013) - Health Canada Warns About Unauthorized Veslon Cosmetics Health Product
Stay connected with Health Canada and receive the latest advisories and product recalls using social media tools.
Également disponible en français