MILWAUKEE, WI--(Marketwire - Oct 9, 2012) - The average person has 25 online accounts, more than six passwords, and uses eight different log-ins a day* -- making security measures and a simple digital data storage solution to protect these Web-based lifestyles essential, now more than ever. As a leader in safety and security, Master Lock is announcing yet another tool to help consumers protect their online data by announcing new features for its trusted website and mobile app for password and lock combination storage, the Master Lock Vault. With the expanded Master Lock Vault consumers can now store and organize a wider range of personal information, save passwords, set reminders for important dates or deadlines, upload documents for easy access on the go, and retrieve cloud-based backup master codes for Vault enabled Master Lock electronic products.
"October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month, which is perfect timing to talk about the importance of organizing and protecting valuable information online. This is just as important as securing more tangible items such as a home, car or jewelry," said Rebecca Smith, vice president, marketing for Master Lock. "The Master Lock Vault service offers users a more organized, private hub to safely store valuable information that can be conveniently accessed while on-the-go -- giving users with busy lifestyles increased peace of mind."
The Master Lock Vault provides the highest level of website security available today -- a 256-bit SSL encrypted connection -- for safe storage of users' security-sensitive information. The Vault also employs strong device and user authentication controls as well as redundant firewall protection and intrusion detection monitoring 24/7. Users simply set up an account and then can review, add, change and delete stored information quickly, easily and safely from any computer or smart phone.
Master Lock Vault Enhancements: A Digital Safe Deposit Box
Master Lock relied on consumer feedback to develop enhanced services and new capabilities for the Vault including:
- Save Passwords: Passwords and notes right when you need them! Input and store any information you need for access at your finger tips, such as a user name, temporary pin number, or other access credentials.
- Upload Stuff: Store and retrieve digital duplicates of security-sensitive files or critical documents you can't afford to lose, including birth certificates, passports, wills and more.
- Get Help: Organize critical data for emergency use or simple daily convenience. Use templates or customize your own entries to store personal, home, or medical info with viewing, emailing, or printing options available for convenience. Template options for a lost wallet, home maintenance, medical information, and more are also available.
- Remind Me: Convenient e-mail, SMS or voice notifications help even the most organized person remember important dates, to do's, and deadlines you can't afford to miss.
- My Products: Never forget your lock combinations again! Connect and manage your Vault enabled, electronic locking Master Lock products to store your cloud-based permanent backup master codes.
Each free Vault subscription includes unlimited use of the Save Passwords, Get Help, Remind Me, and My Products features plus 1GB free Upload Stuff storage. Depending on formats, 1GB gives users approximately 120,000 pages of double-spaced text documents, 1,000 digital images, or 20 minutes of video.
Online Safety and Security Tips
For additional protection to help safeguard your information, Master Lock encourages consumers to:
- Never use the same password for multiple accounts
- Never write down your password in a public place, such as in a Contacts folder, Rolodex or on a sticky note on your computer monitor
- Never create passwords that are easy to crack, such as
- Default passwords (guest, admin)
- Dictionary words (rabbit, Packers)
- Words with numbers appended (password1)
- Words with simple obfuscation (p@ssw0rd)
- Double words (fishfish)
- Common keyboard sequences (qwerty)
- Common numeric sequences (911)
- Identifiers (555-1234, 01/12/1965)
- Anything personally related to you (license plate number, birthday)
Master Lock Vault Compatibility
The Vault works on a variety of browsers, including Internet Explorer versions 7+, the last 3 versions of Firefox and Safari as well as Chrome. Additionally, smart phone and tablet users can find mobile versions of the app available at the same address. Those with Apple, Droid or Amazon devices can download the Master Lock Vault app from their various App Stores for secure, instant access to their stored information anytime, anywhere. To begin using the free Master Lock Vault, visit www.masterlockvault.com.
For more information, visit the Master Lock website at www.masterlock.com or the Master Lock Facebook page at www.facebook.com/masterlock.
About Master Lock
Master Lock is the world's largest manufacturer of padlocks and related security products providing innovative security solutions for home, automotive, campus, power sports, bike and storage security needs for consumers and industry alike. Master Lock Company LLC is an operating unit of Fortune Brands Home & Security, Inc., a leading consumer brands company. Headquartered in Deerfield, Ill., Fortune Brands Home & Security, Inc. (NYSE: FBHS) is included in the S&P MidCap 400 Index. For more information about Master Lock, see www.masterlock.com.
* According to "A Large-Scale Study of Web Password Habits" from Microsoft Research.