SOURCE: CTAM

CTAM

August 03, 2009 08:00 ET

U.S. Movers Say Moving Is Stressful and Time-Consuming

HGTV's Clive Pearse Offers Tips to Harried Movers

ALEXANDRIA, VA--(Marketwire - August 3, 2009) - Approximately 41 million people in the U.S. moved in 2008, and according to a recent survey by the Cable & Telecommunications Association for Marketing (CTAM), many found their moves to be stressful, time-consuming or expensive.

While 37 percent reported their move was "untroubled," HGTV's "Design Star" host and moving expert, Clive Pearse, has some tips for smoother moves for the remaining 63 percent. This research is based on a telephone survey conducted by CENTRIS from June 5 - 14, 2009. The sample includes 1,144 randomly selected adult consumers age 18+.

Pearse recommends focusing on the "Es" -- being economical, environmentally-responsible and efficient.

--  Economical: Movers can be green while saving green by simply moving
    less stuff. Reevaluate belongings first, then get rid of items that are no
    longer needed. Options include selling them online or at a yard sale, or
    donating to local charities. Whatever the mover chooses, it means they can
    earn cash, save money by moving less, and feel good about it.
    
--  Environmentally-friendly: There are free items all around us that can
    be recycled and reused in moving. For example, plastic grocery store bags,
    dishtowels, sheets and blankets make great filler when packing boxes. Ask
    friends to save packing materials from shipments they've received, such as
    bubble wrap and Styrofoam peanuts, and recycle them. Go to local stores and
    ask for empty boxes. This not only saves money, but helps the environment.
    
--  Efficient: Save time and avoid frustration by arranging to have
    critical services connected on the day of arrival. The Cable Mover Hotline,
    a free service provided by the cable industry, helps movers get hooked up
    with less stress by eliminating multiple calls to different companies. One
    call to 877-9TV-MOVE or a visit to www.cablemover.com will transfer or
    establish new TV, Internet and phone services in the next location. It
    doesn't matter if the move is across town or across the country. That's
    efficiency.
    

"I've moved more times than I can count, and know how expensive, time-consuming and exhausting it can be," said Pearse. "My tips are designed to help alleviate some of the moving hassle, while saving money, time and helping the environment -- an all-around win."

CTAM, the Cable & Telecommunications Association for Marketing, is dedicated to helping the cable industry grow by advancing consumer and business-to-business marketing excellence, facilitating collaborative marketing initiatives, and encouraging the mastery of new technology-based products. CTAM helps consumers understand the benefits of cable through national initiatives such as Cable Movers Hotline® and CTAM On Demand Consortium. In addition, consumers can learn more about the benefits of cable through national CTAM initiatives, such as ThisIsCable.com.

Contact Information