OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - March 1, 2014) - Justice Canada
Today, Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada Peter MacKay announced $350,000 in funding for the Vancouver Child and Youth Advocacy Centre (CYAC) Society to establish a new centre to provide services to young victims of abuse and their families.
The funding will be used to support a two-year pilot project during which the Vancouver Child Advocacy Centre Society will establish a fully operational centre in a child-friendly location, bring together a multi-disciplinary team, develop organizational policies, procedures and protocols for handling cases, and undertake a number of other activities to support the full implementation of the CYAC. This new project builds on work done by Family Services of Greater Vancouver between 2011 and 2013 that brought together key partner organizations to identify the needs in the Greater Vancouver area and to explore the feasibility of establishing a CYAC.
CYACs, like Child Advocacy Centres (CAC), provide a safe, child-friendly environment where a collaborative, coordinated team of professionals work together in a child-focused manner to help child or youth victims or witnesses navigate the criminal justice system. The work of the multidisciplinary teams at these centres can greatly reduce the emotional and mental harm to the child.
- The funding for the Vancouver Child and Youth Advocacy Centre Society will be provided as follows:
- 2013-2014: $175,000
- 2014-2015: $175,000
- The funding is being provided through the Department of Justice Canada's Victims Fund. The Victims Fund provides grants and contributions to support projects and activities that encourage the development of new approaches, promote access to justice, improve the capacity of service providers, foster the establishment of referral networks, or increase awareness of services available to victims of crime and their families.
"Our children are entitled to feel safe in their communities. It is therefore deplorable that rates of child sexual abuse are on the rise in Canada. Through a combination of strong legislative action including the Tougher Penalties for Child Predators Act and close partnerships with organizations like the Vancouver Child and Youth Advocacy Centre Society, our Government is fighting for the safety and security of children and youth and providing them with the services and support they need to ensure their voices are heard loud and clear in our justice system."
Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada
- Backgrounder: Child Advocacy Centres
- Backgrounder: Federal Victims Strategy and Victims Fund
- Department of Justice Canada's Policy Centre for Victim Issues
- Department of Justice Canada's Victims Fund
Follow Department of Justice Canada on Twitter (@JusticeCanadaEn), join us on Facebook or visit our YouTube channel.