SOURCE: Ashley Furniture HomeStore
ARCADIA, WI--(Marketwire - Oct 29, 2012) - Ever wish a vineyard or sandy beach backed onto your patio or deck? Have you dreamed of spending more time away from the city? Or that you could bring a bit of the country to your home? Re-creating the old, well-used and comfortable looks of the past for city living is the goal behind a new style of furniture at Ashley Furniture HomeStore. Dubbed Vintage Casual, it blends the beloved looks of European country, coastal, beach-house and American farmhouse styles.
"As much a state of mind as a style, Vintage Casual furniture connects us with the past without relying on too-fancy or too-folksy design ideas," says Brenda Dillon, VP of Merchandising. "The look is elegant, but low-key, versatile and casual chic. You can take it in a coastal, cottage or country house direction simply by the accents you add. Or you can mix the looks together for a very personal style."
Here are a few signature details to look for in Ashley's new Vintage Casual furniture collection:
- Back to basics. With rustic roots, Vintage Casual styles put durability and usability at the top of the list. Nothing's so precious that the kids can't use it... and, like a good basic wardrobe, well-chosen pieces are better than a lot of pieces. So you'll see sturdy materials and simple, sturdy shapes (think benches, schoolhouse chairs and open cupboards), rather than anything ornate.
- A time-worn quality. Vintage Casual styles show a healthy respect for history and age. The look of washed linens and worn or distressed woods add to the understated mood. Burnished metal knobs, over-sized hinges, and vintage-style lamps with visible rivets or screws add a sturdy, heirloom quality. These aren't the kind of antiques we read about in a history book, but the kind we might still find in a grandparents home, rural schoolhouse, farmstead or cottage.
- Natural materials and colors. There's nothing like an absence of bright color to take your stress level down a notch. Use neutral tones, like the one in our Yuma - Linen Rug, and apply it to Vintage Casual American and European country styles for a look that's easy-going but stylish.
- A mix-and-match approach. Matching all the furniture in our room is actually a very modern thing to do; a way of 'streamlining' it. But prior to the mid-20th century, each piece of furniture in a room was unique. Mismatched furniture still carries a casual and vintage feel, suggesting a collected-over-time look that celebrates the past. Think slip-covered chairs around a table, an upholstered bed surrounded by wood cases, a picnic-style table, or a large, soft, skirted ottoman replacing a coffee table.
- A communal feeling. Vintage Casual style recalls simple times; inviting togetherness with family and friends. Comfy sofas and large gathering tables with extra chairs look ready for guest, while handy buffet-style servers make it easy to handle a crowd.
Ashley's new Vintage Casual furniture collection includes living room, bedroom and dining room sets, as well as home entertainment furniture and accessories. To learn more about the innovative new Vintage Casual collection, or to browse the hottest styles in furniture and accessories, visit AshleyFurnitureHomeStore.com.
About Ashley Furniture HomeStore
Ashley Furniture HomeStore, the #1 furniture retailer in the United States, delivers quality, affordable furniture to customers at over 450 independently owned and operated locations in the United States, Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico and Japan. Ashley Furniture HomeStore is an exclusive provider of furniture from Ashley Furniture Industries, Inc., the largest furniture manufacturer in the United States. "Like" Ashley Furniture HomeStore on Facebook, follow them on Twitter, or see their design-focused boards on Pinterest.