CAMARILLO, CA--(Marketwired - Apr 23, 2013) - Vitesse Semiconductor Corporation (NASDAQ: VTSS), a leading provider of advanced IC solutions for Carrier and Enterprise networks, expanded its Serval™ Carrier Ethernet Switch Engine portfolio with Serval-2™ (VSC7438), the industry's first silicon optimized for high bandwidth IP Edge and Ethernet/MPLS access applications, including mobile backhaul, cloud access and business service delivery. Featuring Vitesse Service Aware Architecture (ViSAA™) -- also announced today -- Serval-2 radically simplifies carrier delivery of MEF CE 2.0 services in packet-based mobile and cloud access Ethernet networks.
According to IEEE, communications networks will need to support an average of 58% compound annual growth rates in bandwidth. Operators are moving quickly to packet-based networks to meet opex/capex goals as they try to address this traffic explosion and control network build-out costs. Operators that provide new revenue generating services over private or public cloud networks require new Carrier Ethernet features, including multi-operator OAM and Service Activation Testing to support maintenance and billing. Operators must also deliver these services in a ubiquitous, reliable and secure manner over these new 4G LTE and cloud-based networks.
"Serval-2 revolutionizes the way in which Carriers can deliver services over Ethernet for high bandwidth mobile backhaul, video distribution, cloud access and more," said Uday Mudoi, product marketing director at Vitesse. "Vitesse Service Aware Architecture enables efficient delivery of these services. Serval-2 represents Vitesse's continued focus on delivering solutions for a new generation of network access equipment for mobile/IP Edge and cloud."
Serval-2: Feature-Rich and MEF CE 2.0 Ready
Adding to Vitesse's widely adopted Serval-1™ and Serval-Lite™ Switch Engines, the Serval-2 family features include:
- MEF CE 2.0 ready with per connection feature control and resource allocation. Each Ethernet Virtual Connection (EVC) can utilize dedicated policers and shapers, statistics, queues, and tagging/marking schemes. Further, each connection may use built-in service activation testing when first provisioned; dedicated OAM functions ensure fault-free and SLA-compliant operation;
- Scalable support of multiple 1 Gigabit Ethernet (GE) and 10 GE ports without the need for additional external components. Current solutions, which typically involve external FPGAs or NPUs to enable Carrier Ethernet features, suffer major performance hits when scaling to the higher bandwidth needs of today's demanding consumers. In contrast, Serval-2 executes performance-critical functions including OAM and protection switching, and maintains wirespeed performance for even the most demanding service delivery functions;
- VeriTime™ nanosecond-accurate IEEE1588v2 timing technology that meets LTE and LTE-Advanced network requirements, including those of variable-rate and asymmetric millimeter wave and microwave links;
- Support of multi-operator OAM&P and Service Level Agreements for Ethernet management, enabling RAN sharing and third-party backhaul ownership;
- Hierarchical QoS (H-QoS) support for high bandwidth, media rich traffic delivery over 4G networks.
When combined with Vitesse Intellisec™-enabled PHYs, the Serval family enables a secure network for Layer 2 VPN services at a price point that is 50% lower than alternative solutions.
Availability and Samples
Samples of Serval-2 will be available in calendar Q3 2013. Learn more at www.vitesse.com/products/product.php?number=VSC7438.
Vitesse (NASDAQ: VTSS) designs a diverse portfolio of high-performance semiconductor solutions for Carrier and Enterprise networks worldwide. Vitesse products enable the fastest-growing network infrastructure markets including Mobile Access/IP Edge, Cloud Computing and SMB/SME Enterprise Networking. Visit www.vitesse.com or follow us on Twitter @VitesseSemi.
Vitesse is a registered trademark and Serval, ViSAA, Intellisec and VeriTime are trademarks of Vitesse Semiconductor Corporation in the United States and other jurisdictions. All other trademarks or registered trademarks mentioned herein are the property of their respective holders.