TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Jan. 21, 2014) - Students from across the province - including 12 from the University of Waterloo and nine from Wilfred Laurier University - are competing for pride and prizes in the Battle for CA$H in Toronto on January 25. The Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario holds this annual competition to give university students considering a career as a Chartered Professional Accountant the opportunity to compete, have fun and earn some cash prizes.
A total of 37 three-person teams are traveling to the CPA Ontario Office in Toronto for the competition. Team members are undergraduate business students selected by CPA Ontario's Board of Ambassadors in partnership with accounting/business society executives from 20 university programs across the province.
The University of Waterloo will be represented by four teams:
- Lydia Zhang, Aashish Pappu and Emily Li
- Julia Shen, Anthony Cheung and Alex Gee
- Jack Zhou, Hammad Shams and Senna Ma
- Thinisha Gunsekera, Katherine Chan and Samantha Tjong
Wilfred Laurier's three teams are:
- Ibrahim Khalid, Amtej Randhawa and Gurmehar Sodhi
- Mario Tersigni, Laura Eden and Michael Matkowsky
- Shaiyan Khan, Karen Kaura and Fraser Voll
The CA$H Competition pits the teams against each other in a friendly competition stressing the use of CPA skills such as communications, teamwork, leadership and time management.
First prize winners get the prestigious CA$H Cup, plus $3,000 for first place and an additional $1,500 for the university's accounting/business society. Additional prizes include $1,500 for second, $750 for third, and $300 each for fourth and fifth place. All teams will also be aiming to succeed last year's winner - a team from Queen's University - as the CA$H champions.
CPA Ontario can put reporters in touch with participating students in most Ontario communities. The top five university teams will be announced at the event on January 25, 2014 with a news release to follow on January 27, 2014. Professional and student media are invited to attend the event.
||The Battle for CA$H
||Saturday, January 25, 2014 from 10:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
||Students from 20 Ontario university programs
||Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario, 69 Bloor Street East, Toronto
The university programs taking part are:
- Brock University
- Carleton University - Sprott School of Business
- Lakehead University
- McMaster University - DeGroote School of Business
- Queen's University
- Ryerson University
- University of Guelph
- University of Guelph-Humber
- University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT)
- University of Ottawa
- University of Toronto - Mississauga Campus
- University of Toronto - Scarborough Campus
- University of Toronto - St. George Campus - Rotman School of Management
- University of Waterloo
- Western University - Bachelor of Management and Organizational Studies
- Western University - Ivey Business School
- University of Windsor
- Wilfrid Laurier University
- York University
- York University - Schulich School of Business
About the Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario
The Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario (registered name of The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ontario) is the qualifying and regulatory body of Ontario's almost 37,000 CPAs and 6,000 CPA Students. With a rich history dating back to 1879, the Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario serves the public interest by developing, monitoring and enforcing the highest standards of professional competence and ethical conduct. Chartered Professional Accountants are valued by organizations of all types for their financial expertise, strategic thinking, business insight, management skills and leadership. The Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario's website is: www.cpaontario.ca. Information for students can be found under "High School & University".