CAMPBELL RIVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA--(Marketwired - Feb. 4, 2014) - Western Economic Diversification Canada
Today, the Honourable John Duncan, Minister of State and Chief Government Whip and Member of Parliament for Vancouver Island North, on behalf of the Honourable Michelle Rempel, Minister of State for Western Economic Diversification, announced funding of over $21,000 for the BC Salmon Farmers Association (BCSFA).
With funding from the Harper Government, the BCSFA will review leading international standards and practises in the global fish farming industry, define areas where BC fish farmers can further improve their practices, and then develop a plan to ensure that the BC industry maintains world-leading standards and practises.
The aquaculture industry supports 6,000 jobs in BC and Canada ranks fourth globally as a producer of farmed salmon. This project will help the BC fish farming industry maintain its edge by improving confidence in its products, attracting investment and increasing exports.
- In 2011, farmed salmon, including value added, generated $759 million in sales, representing 90% of the total value of all BC salmon production.
- In 2011, BC exported $467 million worth of salmon products. Farmed salmon accounted for 67% of total salmon exports.
- Globally, Canada accounts for 8.2% of farmed salmon production, behind Norway, the United Kingdom and Chile.
"The salmon farming industry is an important component of our economy and a key source of jobs. By supporting the BC Salmon Farmers Association's goal of identifying and implementing leading international standards, we are delivering on our commitment to enhance this industry's growth."
- The Honourable John Duncan, Minister of State and Chief Government Whip and Member of Parliament for Vancouver Island North
"Here in BC we want to ensure that we are setting world-class standards. Part of that is knowing how you compare with other areas and understanding best practices at an international scale. This report will help us see where we stand on issues that we know are important to the public so we know where we're succeeding and how we can improve."
- Dave Minato, Member and Community Relations Co-ordinator, BCSFA
Subscribe to news releases and keep up-to-date on the latest from WD. Follow us on Twitter at @WD_Canada.
The West Means Business.
IF THERE IS A DISCREPANCY BETWEEN ANY PRINTED VERSION AND THE ELECTRONIC VERSION OF THIS NEWS RELEASE, THE ELECTRONIC VERSION WILL PREVAIL.