BOSTON, MA--(Marketwired - Apr 28, 2014) - XebiaLabs today released the results of its major annual survey that explores trends in software delivery and what is most urgently needed to accelerate and improve these processes. Respondents comprised more than a thousand Dev and Ops managers and C-level executives from banking, energy, manufacturing and other industries.
"From this extensive survey we've found that Continuous Delivery is a valid and major initiative for IT organizations in 2014. So if you're looking to automate that process, you're in good company," said Coert Baart, XebiaLabs CEO. "Survey respondents believe there's plenty of room for improvement in terms of reliability and speed in the application delivery process."
The majority of respondents indicated that their release process is still largely manual and filled with errors. Participants also see a significant challenge in the lack of internal knowledge and expertise around DevOps and Continuous Delivery, and are looking not just for tooling, but knowledgeable partners to provide guidance and vision.
The results reveal that most companies want to implement more automation and move to Continuous Delivery in 2014. One motivation stands out: once development of a feature or fix is complete, about a third of people said it still takes their organization between a week (32%) and a month (36%) to get it live.
High on the list of challenges cited: "Releasing features is too expensive to carry out as frequently as would be desirable."
The survey found that while companies are investing more in automating the process of application delivery, they're increasingly realizing that deployment is only one piece of the puzzle. Most companies now see the rest of the puzzle -- the need to embrace the practices and tools that will enable them to improve their software delivery.
- Automation and Continuous Delivery will be the top two projects planned for 2014. Companies want to deliver higher quality software. Current release processes (largely manual) are filled with error and delaying software delivery.
- While cost and time to market are always important factors, the quality of software delivery will be the key priority for IT organizations.
- There is a clear market drive toward automation in the software delivery process. Lack of automated deployment and testing -- and the existence of too many manual-based actions along with misconfigured environments -- are big concerns for most companies.
- More than 50% of respondents cited lack of integration between tools and teams, while almost 40% said, "Too many errors/too much rework."
- Companies expect to deliver up to 20% more applications in 2014 but don't expect they will be able to hire extra people to support the increase.
- Organizations are looking for guidance and thought leadership alongside new tooling
To view the complete survey, please click here.
XebiaLabs is the leading provider of delivery automation software that helps enterprises deliver higher quality software faster and more efficiently. XL Platform combines deployment automation, on-demand environment provisioning, Agile test management and enterprise release management for DevOps and Continuous Delivery. Using XL Platform, organizations reduce development applications costs, accelerate application time to market and bridge the gap between Development and Operations. Headquartered in the U.S., XebiaLabs has a world-wide network of sales offices and partners.